Wanted: DLG (Discus Launch Glider)

Got something to sell or trade?
DoverSail

Wanted: DLG (Discus Launch Glider)

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 pm

I am putting out feelers to see if anyone has any DLGs laying around that they no longer use and might be willing to part with.
Anyone with anything they would like to bring forward is welcome!
I think there used to be a few DLGs around in the club, and I have not seen any of them flying yet!
Attachments
ELFDLG.jpg

DoverSail

Re: Wanted: DLG (Discus Launch Glider)

Unread post by DoverSail » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:23 am

I see that ArmSoar no longer seems to sell the Topsoar, just a bunch of very nice, very expensive composite models.
So far, if I have to go for something new, the ELF as available from hyperflight looks like the most affordably entry into the DLG market.
But before I look at anything new, I want to see if anyone local has anything they may be interested in parting with, for the right price!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:52 am

I have only ever seen one of these in my flying time... and that was at the Halifax Common a few years ago when we were demonstrating our planes on a ball diamond as part of their "aviation" theme. They do appear to be quite capable for short (and potentially long in the right conditions!) flights.

I am sure that these can be purchased new. Not sure about vendors though.

Good luck in your search!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Certainly you can purchase new DLGs; the modern class are very beautiful carbon fibre machines with pull-spring or pull-pull servos.
The problem is the price-tag... basically at least $1000 just for the airframe, then add high performance servos etc... yikes!

Hyperflight sells the ELF (pictured in OP) for $250; it is smaller (1M) and also less advanced, having only rudder/elevator control.
It would certainly be an option!

Looks like a fun thing to keep around for impromptu flights. Less threatening-looking to the public than a giant purple 3M glider too, I figure.

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Joshua , the only ones in HEFA are my Topsoar 1.5m and Chris Dean now owns my Gambler 1.4m.
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250