Power System Problems

Post here about current projects being worked on.
SecretBuilder

Power System Problems

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Hello Everyone,
So, as you may have guessed from the subject, I have been having trouble with one of my power systems. The power system (depicted in the photo below) is one that I bought on Kijiji along with a few other things. After a few weeks I began having problems with the motor rotating at all. When I plug in the battery to the ESC the motor will beep like it is supposed to about half of the time. After it is done arming I advance the throttle on my TX and all the motor does is make a very high pitched squeaking noise and does nothing in terms of rotating except for a little wobble back and forth about 5 degrees. I got it to work once with no load (no propeller) but after I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in and this time it didn't work and only made that really annoying beep/squeaky sound. I believe it to be some sort of connection error because when I try to use throttle on one of my other smaller motors when one of the motor connectors has come loose much the same thing happens but on a smaller scale. I post this to ask weather or not any of you have had the same problem or have any ideas on what the problem may be.

P.S. The ESC is a Turnigy 25A, the motor is a Tower Pro 2409 1000kv and the battery is a Turnigy 3000mah Lipo.
Attachments
_IGP4829 (1).jpg
Aiden | Pilot Name: AlbatrossFPV | MAAC#: 97485 | HEFA#: ?
Radio: Radiomaster TX16S | Goggles: FatShark Attitude V6
YouTube: AlbatrossFPV

trevor

Re: Power System Problems

Unread post by trevor » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Go in to ESC settings and change your timing. This will fix your issue. Most likely set it to the middle of the three settings. This is common on our high speed wings
what do you mean low rates and expo???

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:56 am

So many options... Trevor is right that there could be a timing issue. Could it be going into program mode? This is common when powered up with the throttle in a high state. You'd need the manual for the ESC to be able to program items such as timing, LVC, motor brake, etc.

Make sure that the connectors are intact between the ESC and motor as single phasing of the motor will cause issues as described too.

Does the ESC work with a different motor? If not, then chances are that this is an ESC problem and ultimately that is where I would be leaning - a failed ESC. But that is more of an educated guess at the moment.

Brian

SecretBuilder

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Ok,
I figured it out.
I did a little bit of prodding with my multi meter on continuity mode and figured out that the motor leads only have current running through them when they are bent in a certain direction. I also took your advice and tried the ESC with one of my other motors and it worked flawlessly. So I think that it is quite obvious at this point that the problem is the motor connections.
Aiden | Pilot Name: AlbatrossFPV | MAAC#: 97485 | HEFA#: ?
Radio: Radiomaster TX16S | Goggles: FatShark Attitude V6
YouTube: AlbatrossFPV