f-16 repair, repaint, and return to the skies!

Post here about current projects being worked on.
MGC

f-16 repair, repaint, and return to the skies!

Unread post by MGC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:18 pm

well, the last part of the title I'm hoping comes true. lol

So, here we go....severed right wing, separated vertical stab, twisted and split nose barely holding on, holes and gouges everywhere and bent landing gear. No problem :) Lets get started!

First, out came a big ol' pot of boiling water to make some foam soup. held the nose and wing corner in the boiling water until the foam expanded back to its original-ish shape. Smoothed any "alligator skin" spots that came from the boiling. Had a good bit of success reforming the wing and the nose, which was the worst part. Next came the glue. I used Foam tac. Great stuff! Strong and stays flexible so it's not likely to "snap" apart under pressure. Wing, V stab, and nose all glue back in place. Next will come some carbon fiber rod reinforcement in the Nose, thanks to the advice of some of the lads at the field!! :). I'll post those pics next. Then I plan for a test flight. If all goes well, I'll be repainting this model. I have a few ideas for paint, but one I really like is the Artic Camo paint scheme. Stay tuned for more pics and progress!
Attachments
2.JPG
jet2.jpg

bdg

Re: f-16 repair, repaint, and return to the skies!

Unread post by bdg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Looking good, Mark!

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:14 pm

Next steps, I've filled all the holes and gouges in the foam. Bob hooked me up with a tube of polyfilla spackle and man, this stuff works great for filling holes and gaps in foam! Thanks again Bob! All the decals are removed and I've sanded down the spackle. Next, prime and paint!
Attachments
20201008_144659_copy_2016x1134.jpg

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi everyone! Yes I'm still around! It's been forever since I've been to shannon park, its either a crap weekend or I'm busy with other plans. Wish I was busy flying planes. LoL :D :D

I've kept up with adding to the collection all year. Lots of new planes in the hanger. I finally finished the repaint of the demolished f16. Had it out and she flies sooooo fast without the ordinance and landing gear. I found a new product from krylon called foam primer. Its foam safe spray paint gray primer. Works awesome! I also put 4 coats of modpodge on the bottom because i decided to make it a belly lander. Its hard as a rock now. Ill bring it down to the park some weekend!

Happy skies!
Attachments
20210618_112052_copy_2016x980.jpg
20210618_094324_copy_2016x980.jpg

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Looking sharp!! How is the hand launch???

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:03 am

Thanks! Hand launch is incredibly easy. Pop on safe mode and give it full throttle, toss overhand at about 45 degrees. Up up and away! Here is a video of the f16 being hand launched and without ordinance (second half of the video) You can see the speed difference.

https://youtu.be/T4nwa_Shi0U

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Thanks for the link. I like it. Definitely need to try it out as the take-offs for my EDF are a real challenge. I added larger back wheels in the hope that these would help me to hit the skies but it barely helped. In my last sortie on Sunday the nose cone came off too.... so a combination of no nose cone and larger wheels greatly reduced the feel of this plane in the air. Definitely will be trying this out!

Thanks!

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:29 pm

Hmm would this make a good belly lander in the snow, or would it just scoop up a mouthful of snow and wreck the motor?
Thoughts :?:

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 pm

My “vote” would be that this would not be good in snow, due to the point that you mention with snow entering the bottom scoop and getting back to the motor. But that is just my thought. Success likely depends on the type of snow /ice conditions too as well as footprints and holes in the ground.

Waterplanes are always great for winter…. As you know!