Flite Test Spitfire

Post here about current projects being worked on.
MGC

Flite Test Spitfire

Unread post by MGC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 am

final.jpg
Though I would post some photos of a Flite Test Spitfire scratch build I just finished. It was a bit more involved than the Simple Cub i built last time, but the same basic build techniques are applied. Folded over wings, and A/B folds and cuts. I experimented with some different foam board, including ordering some of the adams foam board sold by flite test. I have to say, the Elmers "Ross" foam board from the dollar store takes the cake. its strong, light and super cheap to buy!

I added a few extras that you'll see in the pictures. The cockpit canopy was made from the top of a spinach container and electrical tape, and the exhausts pipes are made from a slushy straw. lol

the model was covered in minwax polyurethane before applying paint. i find this hardens the paper on the foam making it really strong. Then I primed and painted it with my trusty airbrush. The roundels and markings are airbrushed, and the letters are stickers i picked up at the craft store. the entire model is covered with Pledge Floor Gloss to seal up the paint and gives it a hard protective finish. It's a trick we use in the scale plastic model hobby to finish models. Fantastic stuff. I recommend it over any Krylon or rustoleum top coat rattle can spray. Plus you can brush it on, so no nasty spray can fumes! I'm going to also test it on one of my store bought foam planes to see how it looks.

This was a really fun and interesting build I must say, especially with the clear cockpit. Leaves some room to add some scale detail.

As for the flight? It's a solid flyer! Super easy to hand launch, no tip stall tendency due to the big negative camber under the wing tips, and floats to the ground for a soft belly landing. I maidened it with a 9x4.7 slow fly prop. It was perfect for the maiden to get it all trimmed up, a nice gentle flight. For the next flight I tossed on a 9x6 composite prop. Now she cuts through the air like a true Spitfire! Servos are 9 gram SG90's, volantex 30 amp esc, and an emax grand turbo gt2215/09 takes it to the skys.

Well, that it for this one, hope you enjoy the photos. Now, the big question... what to build next!?!?
Attachments
under.jpg
paint.jpg
paint 1.jpg
engine.jpg
Last edited by MGC on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MGC

Re: Flite Test Spitfire

Unread post by MGC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:54 am

More build pics
Attachments
cockpit.jpg
cockpit 1.jpg
canopy.jpg
build.jpg
build 1.jpg

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Incredible patience. Wow. Did you say 20 hrs to build and 30 hrs to paint / outfit? The reward at the end is obvious though!

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Really nice job, Mark, and some great tips for the rest of us "foamy builders". If I take on another "Viggen" I'll be sure to use those tips to get a toughter skin on the foam.
That photo of your "maskings" for the roundels is intriguing. Air brushing is something I've not mastered, so as soon as you announce a Fall course, I'll be registering..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Nice work.
Gotta like it when they fly well after putting all of the time into a build.

Cheers,
Plane Crazey :D

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:08 am

THANKS GUYS! :)

I should have added, that the kind of polyurethane to use is the original oil base one.
https://www.minwax.ca/wood-products/int ... rotection. It wont warp and wrinkle the paper on the foam. the water based polycrylic or water based polyurethane will not be be so kind to your foamboard.

Bill, you know thats not a bad idea! A little airbrush tutorial some weekend morning would be fun :) Anyone want to volunteer to have their car airbrushed? LOL :lol:
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 1452 times