TUCAN to TUCANO

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

TUCAN to TUCANO

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:26 pm

A long, long, time ago ..well it must of been back in October of 2019 at least..I got an idea to search out a model that I could "hotrod" into something that could handle one of the new "BADASS" motors that Innov8tive Designs are selling.

I settled on a TUCAN from Multiplex ..especially when I saw that the Hitec Weekender web site had a deal going on with a price of $US108.00 with Free Shipping plus a free Hitec 3 axis stabilizer. Placed the order right away, payment via Paypal, it got to me within a week.

Next item was to research the motor that was designed for it, to get some specs as to weight and more importantly the diameter as the motor is hidden within the foam front end. So I checked the Badass motor list and settled on a 3520-790Kv that has some interesting specs...when run on a 5S lipo pack....(9x9-apc 5S 18.5vt 51amp 945.6 watts 12,276 rpm 104.6 mph)

So in February my bench was cleared of several early winter builds ..( Viggen, MiniF22, and FT Racer all from Flite-Test, and a Funtan40 conversion, so it was time to proceed on what I referred to as "Project X". It's an interesting build where you assemble an internal plywood crutch within the two foam fuselage halves, before joining them. The quality of parts, (mostly Elapor),and the manual, is all first rate.

The next part of the story is interesting. Although Multiplex send two large sheets of decals for the top and bottom of their Tucan, I wanted something different for the top side. Some research on RCGroups revealed many differently trimmed Tucans. One of these stood out to me and led me to Callie Graphics, and a reply from them that "yes, we can do these for you for around $60. US shipped". While waiting for the graphics I placed a picture of what the finished Tucan would look like on a forum in RCGroups and immediately got a reply that said.."you must have a very old kit, because the picture you posted is of the model that was produced by a small company known as "Novaflight" and they called it a "Tucano" and they sold the rights to the model to Multiplex who changed it to their liking and renamed it "Tucan"..!" Wow..what you can learn on the Internet..!

Anyway, the model is nearly finished, the new Graphics look great, in a bright red with black trim on the edges, and bearing the "Novaflight and Tucano" nomenclature..! Pictures to follow..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: TUCAN to TUCANO

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 pm

..as promised, Pictures (minus turbo-prop exhaust stacks)
Attachments
Img_7451xx.jpg
IMG_7450xx.jpg
Img_7448xx.jpg
Img_7447xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:18 pm

..the bottom is stock decals from Multiplex,
Attachments
Img_7436xx.jpg
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:25 pm

..another bottom pic of stock decals from Multiplex,
Attachments
Img_7435xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 pm

Amazing job on the graphics! And that beast of a motor... man, that bird will cover some territory a hurry!