Saturn V

Post here about current projects being worked on.
MGC

Saturn V

Unread post by MGC » Tue May 26, 2020 9:26 am

Howdy folks!

It's not an RC plane, but I thought I would share this to see if there were any other model rocket enthusiasts in the club. This is probably my longest hobby. I started building and flying rockets when I was 10. My daughter who is 7 has taken up the hobby and absolutely loves it. Such a fun way to get kids interested in space and science. Its because of model rocketry that I became interested in RC planes. Now im hooked!!! (Brian, you warned me hahaha!!! :D )

This is Estes 1:100 scale 50th anniversary edition of the famous Saturn V. It stands at 43 inches and flies to about 400 feet with a respectable engine. You can push it much farther though, but I do prefer this one to come back to earth in one piece! Build time was about 50 hours, lots of filling, sanding, repeat.

I haven't launched it yet. I'm waiting for some engines to arrive. If any one is interested, Geoff at MSC can get Estes products now, including engines, which are getting harder to find due to shipping costs.

I'll post a launch (and hopefully retrieval) video after she meets the sky!

Mark
Attachments
20200228_134629-3024x1701.jpg
20200503_011052-1701x3024.jpg
20200501_234341-1701x3024.jpg
20200326_142924-1701x3024.jpg
20200426_165225-1701x3024.jpg

the-mailman

Re: Saturn V

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue May 26, 2020 9:42 am

I've been making rockets since grade 7. I still have a few from back then. Nothing as large as that though. The Shearwater RC club had a rocket day a while back and my son and I launched many rockets. I hope they do it again soon.
rocket.jpg
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Tue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm

I have the same rocket and here is a word of note. Get the highest power rocket motor that will fit into it. Being so large it is heavy and will need the thrust. I've modified mine to take an 'E' size motor or a two stage 'D' as the largest single 'D' size would only get it about 50' - 100' off the ground. If the chutes don't fully deploy and open expect damage after the first launch. If you can, try and make sure the model is balanced as best as you can or she will go horizontal and that will not end well. also don't do like I did and leave the top plastic nose assembly on for launching ...that part is only for static display.

I can tell you put a lot of detail work into this baby!! I love the detail work you have done. Hope it flys well. :!:
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Tue May 26, 2020 3:32 pm

I hope they have another rocket day at Shearwater, that sounds like an absolute "blast"! ;)

Thanks for the tips Kevin! I was wondering if i should leave off the escape tower, looks quite fragile indeed. I didn't glue it in place just yet, so think I'll leave it as is so I can take it off before launching as per your advice. I'll be putting an E12-4 in this too. I'm so nervious to fly it! My motto is it's not a model rocket if you don't fly it once! lol

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Sounds exciting Mark...! Kevin (who responded here) is very active at SW and would be a good person to talk with for sure. Sounds like a common interest too.

We have not launched from SP but I have seen, at least 1-2 times, someone launch from the school. Always a bit nervous with rockets and planes and possible negative PR for HEFA, so not something that we have supported. Also rockets were launched several years ago from ice-flying at Porter's Lake.

A few links to whet your whistle:
https://shearwaterflyers.proboards.com/ ... ketry-meet
http://www.asrcm.ns.ca/files/Oct_2018_newsletter.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3766

I know that there are more but I am not finding them at my fingertips!

Brian

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Mark,

The E12-4 sounds like just the right motor for that bird. DO NOT Glue the tower to the top. It should be removable for flights and put back on for display. The tower will be destroyed if you fly with it on. Trust me on that !! mine is in pieces. Shearwater is the perfect place for rockets as it is wide open (no trees close) to get hung up into and you can see where your rocket lands. Unfortunately this year we will be lucky to get the field open to RC planes let alone rockets. We have tried to have at least one day set aside for a rocket launch but it doesn't always happen.

At the moment the Shearwater club is closed and will not be opening until the military get back to work. I'm waiting on response from my PSP personnel (in charge of clubs ) to get back to me on an email I sent 2 weeks ago. They have not even read the email yet.
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS