3D printer Filament

Post here about current projects being worked on.
KevinM

3D printer Filament

Unread post by KevinM » Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Over the past several weeks it has been hard to find any 3d printer in stock and available to ship, the pandemic has scooped up all the printers for medical use.

Well I've pulled the trigger and purchased a 3D printer (Ender-5) today and now I'm looking to see where those of you that have 3D printers purchase your filament. I have heard some talk about poor quality of some sources for filament. I'm looking to get a roll of PLA, ABS and PETG, that should cover about 99% of all material types I will ever need to print whatever I can dream up. Thanks to Jim Haliburton I have online links coming out my ears for source files and things to print.

If anyone as a good source or recommendation for filament please let me know. I want to get an order in ASAP as I have only 2 weeks until my printer gets here.
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

AndrewS

Re: 3D printer Filament

Unread post by AndrewS » Wed May 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Kevin
I got stuff from both of these for my new Ender 3.
Haven't tried the filaments yet as they only just arrived. Service seems pretty ok.

Ordered PETG and PLA here https://filaments.ca/
Ordered PLA here https://3dprintingcanada.com/

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Wed May 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks Andrew,

I know about 3dprintingcanada.com as I was checking out their printers. I never found filaments.ca in all my searches but will check out their website.

when you have an opportunity to try out your new filaments let me know how they perform.

Kevin

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed May 13, 2020 7:14 pm

Hey Kevin... what about this?

https://www.amazon.ca/SUNLU-Printer-Fil ... B07B3SZX9L

Brian

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Thanks Brian,

I already have that bookmarked in my amazon account.

I'm looking around for recommendations as to what is the best supplier / filament (PLA/ABS and PETG) as I have heard that some members have received filament with moisture contamination.

I'm keeping all options open.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 pm

Kevin,

I am by no means an expert but have gone through a few rolls of PLA in my printer. I've always purchased (thus far) from Amazon and actually did purchase that PLA that I had referenced. Time will tell.

My understanding is that moisture is what caused issues with PLA. Not sure about ABS or other compounds. So as long as the PLA is kept in the sealed bag - with desiccant - everything is ok. But leave the roll exposed to the atmosphere - especially in the summer when humidity is higher - and the PLA will get brittle and will break. Of course, I would think that few people actually remove the PLA roll from the printer after each job and seal in a bag with desiccant, but I think that would be the best practice, especially if it will be out for an extended time.

I also have a roll of TPU but it is still sealed in the box. Special challenges with that product but supposedly really flexible results!

Good luck!

Brian

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Thu May 14, 2020 10:27 am

Thanks for all the info. I'm learning fast as to how best use this machine and what can be done with it. More than just RC !

Thanks again.

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I know almost nothing on this. But if PLA gets brittle with moisture, that isn't a material for rc planes. Or is there some other reaction when it gets heated and molded?
Plane Crazey :D

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Unbelievable, I logged back into Amazon today to check specs on the Ender-5 I purchased. I used the link on the email Amazon sent me yesterday after purchase so I could go directly to the listing. I couldn't believe it the seller had dropped the price by just over $150 + tax from yesterday to today. I immediately verified it was the same model and checked Amazon's policy for cancellation and was able to cancel the purchase. Prior to item being shipped there is no cost to cancel. I waited for confirmation and then re-purchased the exact same printer for ~$188 less. Boy I was lucky to notice this.

With that panic behind me I now know I have got a really good deal on the printer. Hope all goes well from now onward.

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Thu May 14, 2020 8:48 pm

yorcram wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 pm
I know almost nothing on this. But if PLA gets brittle with moisture, that isn't a material for rc planes. Or is there some other reaction when it gets heated and molded?
In order to print, the filament must be flexible to move thru the printer. Once formed it depends on the use if brittle will be a problem. There are also different materials for filament each with their own properties. (Flexible/heat resistant etc.) You need to match the filament to the proposed use to get the best results. I'm looking at 3 different filament types but all won't be for RC use.