Stuck at home

Post here about current projects being worked on.
the-mailman

Stuck at home

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm

I typically work from home so I'm used to being at home, but being stuck at home more than normal is certainly a drag. I'm sure this lock down will eventually be lifted and we can fly again. But in the meantime I've started building some new foam board planes.

My first one is a rendition of the classic ugly stick called the (Das) Little Stick Parkflyer from the Flitetest site. Should be fun to fly.

I haven't decided if I need wheels yet. I probably don't. AUW is 350g. It was under 250g, but I had to add a battery.

3D printed the firewall, motor mount, and tail skid. I could have done it with plywood, but I got one for Christmas and I'm having fun making stuff.
20200401_182100 (Medium).jpg
20200401_182042 (Medium).jpg
20200401_182120 (Medium).jpg
20200401_182109 (Medium).jpg
20200401_182136 (Medium).jpg
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Re: Stuck at home

Unread post by bdg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Very cool! Are you taking orders? ;-)

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:00 pm

Sorry, just a one off. When it dies I'll build something else.

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:39 am

Fantastic job! Those big iron crosses will look so good up there. What a barn stormer :D Question, is that elmers FB from dollar store? Also, curious about what you are using for electronics and prop size? I had my eye on this design and the FT spitfire for my next build. Can't wait to see this bird fly!
Mark

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Mark, yes, it's built with the Elmers board. Both of the brands that the Dollar Store carry, Elmers and Studio, are a bit heavier than the Rediboard Flitetest use, but I've never had a issue with the extra weight. I find it a little stiffer and stronger then the one they use.

It depends on the plane, but I typically use the Emax CF2822 1300 kv with a 20 amp esc and 0945 prop on 2 - 3S battery. I find that motor very versatile and I get up to 10 minute flights on a 2200 mah battery. It has about 240 watts of power and is good for up to 1000g planes.

On this one I used an Emax MT2204 2300 kv with a 12 amp esc and 0630 prop. It has about 130 watts on a 3S. Hopefully it'll be enough power. The plane's only 400g. If not I'll swap it out.

If you really want the Rediboard The Great Canadian Dollar Store in Bridgewater carry it in quite a few colors. It's about $2.50 a sheet but it's only coloured on one side.

I saw your Simple Cub. You did a great paint job. I built one last year, but it didn't fly well so I retired it. I'll have to give it another try.

Bruce

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks for the info! I ordered the 2822 motor from banggood after reading your recommendation. It might be here by the time we are able to be on the field again. Hahaha. With the cub, i used the dollar store elmers FB. I found it was easy to work with, but the paper was a little tricky to peel off when needed.

Thans for the complement on the cub :) I did find it liked to pull left a lot on take off (more so than is normaly expected) and likes to balloon when you hit the throttle. I pointed the prop down and to the right by putting small washers between the firewall and motor. This made a big difference. Takes off now with just a bit if right rudder and no more ballooning. Its a joy to fly now.

Hope we can line it someday that we both have our foamboard beauties out at the same time! :)

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 am

Not stuck at home anymore, but I finally finished my second build that I started while on lock down. It's a Flitetest SE5. Not my best work, but it should fly. We'll see tomorrow anyway. The foam board is the normal readi-board that Flitetest use, just in blue. Unfortunately, it's only blue on one side.
se5 1.jpg
Se 5 2.jpg

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Mon May 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Great build! Looks like it will be fun to fly :D And that pinball machine is amazing!

Did you sort out the aleron servo issue on the Das little stick?

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Flew it today and it was very rudder sensitive. Need to re-glue a few spots, but it will fly again. I had to change the servo to fix the problem. The plane flew pretty good, but wanted to climb badly. Unfortunately, on landing the nose broke off where the wing tie downs went through. Weak spot I guess. A little glue and it will fly again too.

The pinball machine is old, but fun. From 1972 and built with all mechanical switches and relays. No computers inside. It makes a lot of noise even when it's not being played due to the mechanical components always turning.