Balsa partial built kit bash

Post here about current projects being worked on.
yorcram

Balsa partial built kit bash

Unread post by yorcram » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:51 am

More than a few years ago I bought a partialy built biplane. Discovered that some internal structures were missing. The cabane were at wrong angle and not setup in top wing to accept them, top wing center section was also sheeted. I puttered at this a bit over the years trying to line up the top wing and set the incedant.
Gave up on it last week and doing a kit bash.
Ripped off the forward turtle deck, added rails for servos and a bit of structure. Made a new nose out of balsa, replaced hatch. Turtledeck and hatch need sanding. Still figuring how to mount hatch, but I have an idea in mind.
The original biplane lower wing i felt was too short so it was extended. Now i think it is a bit too long but will be a floater so leaving it. There was no structure for servos so made some plates and anchor points. Will need to build ailerons
Attachments
20200401_103832.jpg
Plane Crazey :D

yorcram

Re: Balsa partial built kit bash

Unread post by yorcram » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Noticed control horns, hinges and some pushrods were missing. Fortunately I had same diameter wire on hand so I could setup the tail feathers. Added balsa for the control horns i made. Then discovered the pushrod guides werewarped in fuselage, fairly hard to oush wires into guides. Needed to open up bottom and take stress off the guides.

Started making new ailerons, measureing for both show two sizes. :x thought I messed up on wing extentions. Discovered the existing trailing edges were not equal. One rib was warped and original builder made trailing edge shorter. Measuered up were rib should be and added sub-rib.
20200404_100842.jpg
Attachments
20200404_103735.jpg

yorcram

Re: Balsa partial built kit bash

Unread post by yorcram » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Plane is partially covered in solartex. nice covering, too bad it's not made any longer. Plane came with the remaining roll to finish plane. But there wasn't enough for the wing. Good news, I had some yellow solartex. Bad news not enough to cover entire top of the wing. Dug around and found another roll...but different yellow :roll:
Made do with it.
Need to make landing gear. Connect controls to servos, and do something for the cockpit
Attachments
20200405_143705.jpg