3D printing

Post here about current projects being worked on.
JohnOSullivan

3D printing

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm

I was a bit taken aback at Christmas when my kids made me a present of an Ender 3 3D printer. First thought was" what the hell am I going to do with that thing".
Little did I know what a little beauty it would become. Firstly my Cox 0.01 motor needed a backplate and fittings for a triangular fuselage. I had 25 years + 2D drafting experience on Autocad for my models and complex geological mapping projects, but 3D structural design was totally diffrerent.
Well having completed the Cox motor mount I turned to my old carbon Butterfly indoor model and thought I could improve on the plastic fittings used on it.
As a result, 29 different plastic parts each individually drawn and printed led to the new BLUENOSE , somewhat a copy of the Butterfly (Vapor on Steroids).
The Bluenose has been tested outdoors and flies well (other than a few unintended gyrations due to an unsupported elevator pushrod).

Then I got a brainfart this morning on my 2m Mayfly design. I've been flying it now for 2 years without problems, but had a nagging feeling that the tailplane mount was not as sturdy as I would like. Well, 10 minutes on Fusion 360 drafting program and I had a new tail mounting platform designed. I printed out a couple and they work very well.

This 3D stuff has opened a new door to a side of modelling that I never expected.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

waxman

Re: 3D printing

Unread post by waxman » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 pm

So glad to see that you getting such great use out of that printer John.
John Liddard