hey guys here is a link to my BOT rebuild

Post here about current projects being worked on.
trevor

hey guys here is a link to my BOT rebuild

Unread post by trevor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:22 pm

http://helimaniacs.proboards.com/thread ... llTo=15730

This is all being done by a great friend and Heli pilot
what do you mean low rates and expo???

retiredVTT

Re: hey guys here is a link to my BOT rebuild

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm

Does not seem to be available to the general public...requires a "login".

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Hmmm one sec

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 pm

Repairs looking good so far Trevor. Hope the fuselage comes out as nicely. Joe does nice work.
Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:15 pm

i will remove the external switch as-well lololol

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm glad she's getting rebuilt, Trev!

Not sure if this is why you mention that, but the external switch wasn't the problem the last time it flew. I checked it's position when I first picked it up after the crash and it was in the ON position. Probably still not a bad idea to put it inside the fuse, though...

Vic

PS - I couldn't get on the forum to see your pictures either.

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Thats what i will do vic thanks for that info

JMiller

Unread post by JMiller » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Just to make it easy Trevor, I'll copy my posts here for people that aren't registered on Heli Maniacs:

Most of you read about the unfortunate crash of Trevor's BOT. I offered to put Humpty Dumpty back together again for him so I thought I'd post a few pics of the process. First thing I did was strip the covering off of the wing to see how bad it was. The damage was all located in the middle of the center section of the wing. Here's a top and bottom pic of the wing before I got started.

Top of the wing:

Bottom of the wing:

Fortunately, Trevor had collected most of the bits that had broken off on impact. only had to fabricate a couple of pieces to replace items that were totalled or missing. The spar was broken at the center so when I put it back together I added a couple of pieces of carbon cloth the shore it up. Here's a pic of a piece I added in:

Here are the pics of the almost completed rebuild on the wing.

Top of the wing:

Bottom of the wing:

Last thing I plan to do is add a strip of fiberglass cloth in the center section for some added insurance. The total repairs will only add an oz or two to the all up weight.

JMiller

Unread post by JMiller » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:39 pm

I got around to putting the fiberglass on tonight. I'll run through how I do it. There are probably better ways, but this has always worked out for me. First thing is to cut out the strip of fiberglass that you need. I leave it about 1" long. Most important thing is to use a really sharp blade or you'll have a mess of fiber on the edges.

Once I have the piece cut, I spray a light dusting of 3M77 Spray where I want the fiberglass to go. Then starting at the trailing edge of the wing I start laying it down until I've wrapped it around the leading edge and wind up back at the trailing edge on the other side of the wing. The 3M77 holds it in place well and allows you to really smooth the cloth out before you apply any resin.

Then I wet out the cloth using some finishing epoxy until the cloth becomes pretty transparent. Last step is to scrape the wetted cloth with an old credit card. This not only smoothens out the surface but also removes a large portion of the resin.

All done. Once the resin fully cures I'll feather the edges of the cloth so it blends in with the rest of the wing. The result is a strong center wing with very little weight added.

JMiller

Unread post by JMiller » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:42 pm

With the wing nearly finished I got started on the fuse. The front end was pretty much squished, and the top and bottom seams where the fuse is joined had let go.

Before pic.

I epoxied the seams back together and taped the fuse closed. The bottom seam joiner was in rough shape so I epoxied in a new piece of fiberglass there. Once the epoxy had cured, off came the tape and I wet out the mashed fiberglass in the front of the nose with some finishing resin.

The nose came back into shape fairly well. Next will be to break out the files and sandpaper and smooth it all back out. Any holes that open up will be glassed from the inside of the fuse.