New to Heli World, Can Anyone help with setup Trex500E

Discussions related to electric helicopters.
RCRyanHeli

New to Heli World, Can Anyone help with setup Trex500E

Unread post by RCRyanHeli » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello RC World!

New to the heli side, have flown and built my own race drones but the heli side seems to be a little more difficult in programming and diagnostics

Believe im having issues with my programming of my DX6, and maybe with my gy401 Gyro.. Has anyone played with this equipment before?

Im in the Dartmouth area of Halifax, be awesome if someone was close and has some knowledge on the Trex500

Cheers

Ryan Covin

RocketManRC

Re: New to Heli World, Can Anyone help with setup Trex500E

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Ryan,

There aren't too many of us flying helis these days but I still do.

The TREX 500E is not the way to get started for many reasons especially since the one you have is kind of ancient technology with the flybar and all.

I will be at Shannon Park tomorrow morning and if you want to drop by with your heli we can check it out at least. But I would suggest getting something small and modern to learn on. Mighty Small Cars is just down the road from Shannon Park and they should be able to fix you up :-)

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 am

Yeah i figured once i got it in my hands and got researching, thou i got it only for 200$ and never been flown, But yes i am looking at getting a more modern heli without flybar etc.

I was away over weekend but would like to meet up sometime!

Thanks rocket man
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:15 am

Hey Ryan, for some strange reason you are posting here as if you were RetiredVTT. I checked out your account settings and I don't see any problem with it. Can you make sure that you are logged in to your account and then post again? If that doesn't work then please create a new account and I will delete the old one.

Thanks!
Rick MacDonald

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 am

Wow..that's weird Rick..! I am even able to edit that post.

(the real "retiredVTT")
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RCRyanHeli

Unread post by RCRyanHeli » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Hey guys! this is a test!

RCRyanHeli

Unread post by RCRyanHeli » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:30 pm

RCRyanHeli wrote:Hey guys! this is a test!
Think im okay now, that was super weird!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi Ryan,

Weird is definitely the word for YOUR post to show up as coming from ME. See if you are able to edit that post or delete any or all of the message. It would be even weirder if you are able to do that. If not, let me know and I'll get rid of it.

thanks,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Well I think that maybe the R/C gods are laughing at us now but it sure was strange!

Anyway thanks for the help with the website issue Ryan.

Have you flown any of your racing drones line of sight instead of FPV? That is a great first step to flying a heli and as you know, no harm in a crash or two with a racing drone :-)

We can definitely get your Tres500E flying but I don't think you will be very happy with it. With the flybar it only has mechanical stabilization in the roll and pitch axis so it will feel very twitchy to say the least. However that is how I learned to fly helis so I can't say that it isn't possible :-)

I am trying to be at Shannon Park on weekend mornings however this coming weekend it looks like only Sunday due to family commitments. During the week days I spend at much time as possible at the ASRCM field near Shubenacadie. If that is an option for you it is a great place to fly and to test and you are welcome to come out.

Rick
Rick MacDonald

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi Ryan,

I thought I would chime in too as I fly helis and also started with flybarred models before moving onto flybarless.

I agree with what Rick said as it's usually advisable to start with smaller helis to keep crash costs down. Back when flybars ruled people argued 500 size and up offers more stability than the smaller helis. Now that helis have gone flybarless (with built-in 3 axis stabilization) that is no longer necessarily the case.

As Rick also said, a good bet would be to talk to Greg or Geoff at Mighty Small Cars down the road. They might advise you to start with flying helis on a simulator, then show you some of their "micro" size helis. These are more affordable to fly as the batteries and spare parts tend to be much cheaper. Learning to fly helis means crashing a lot and the costs can add up. For example, a set of main blades for the T-Rex 500 can cost $40 - $50 US. A set of main blades for the Blade 130 S (smaller FBL heli) cost about $10 US.

I am planning to be at Shannon Park Wednesday morning around 9:30 am (if the weather is as good as forecast). I will have my heli there and can try to answer whatever questions you might have, if you're available to come down.

For now I would suggest not attempting to fly your T-Rex 500 until someone can give it a look over. Unless you're prepared for big repair bills, you may want to keep the 500 on the side until you get some experience on a simulator at the least.

Jeff

Edit: Is it a T-Rex 500 or a Blade 500 3D that you bought? It looks like it was you that inquired about Rob's Blade 500 in the classified section a few days ago...
MAAC 85077
Tarot 450 Pro V2, H-King Voltigeur, E-Flite Ultimate 2, BAe Hawk EDF, H-King Wargo MX2, E-Flite Timber X, E-Flite UMX Timber X, E-Flite UMX A-10, Eachine E160, Eachine E180, YX F180 V2, MJX Bugs 3
Transmitter: RadioMaster TX16S