UMX as3xtra

Discussions related to 3D models.
RocketManRC

Re: UMX as3xtra

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Wow this one sounds like a real challenge to setup. I may have to get one just for that reason :twisted:

I noticed that Brian's was porpoising last night after seeing it fly many times with no problems prior to that. I thought it might have been something that came loose but it didn't appear to be. Now reading this thread it is even more mysterious.

I'm sure it's not related but I had a weird problem last night with my nano cpx which I hadn't flown in quite a while. When I first powered it up it wasn't bound to my DX8. Hmmm. Then I tried to bind it a few times and it would appear to bind on the heli but not on the transmitter. Strange. The last time I tried it suddenly activated the motor after "binding" but wasn't responding, at least to me. It jumped off the table onto the floor and I had to step on it to stop it (no damage fortunately). Ok that's just too weird.

This morning on my workbench it bound right away and flew no problem. Go figure!

The only thing I can think of about last night that is different from previous times is there were three DX9s present. Could they be interfering with other radios somehow, especially with binding???

Could they be interfering with other aircraft in flight and causing Brian and Paul's problems?

Only time will tell... LOL
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Paul E. Wogg

Unread post by Paul E. Wogg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Funny,
I thought the same, that something at the location changed.
I do know 3 weeks ago there were 2 as3xtras flying, and Andrew had his dx9 , but only flew occasionally...I don't recall if there was overlap.
But I don't believe it would cause it...I'm sure heavy testing was done in this regard.
But playing in a band for years....thinking...some of use used wireless equipment, and jimmy Flynn was playing that night.
I suppose it's possible there was some interference if they employed wireless equipment...but I see it as unlikely..I'm sure they are very separate bands of frequency. For audio..it's kept very far away from "noise".
I never had signal drop...or static or noise ever.
Of course...I never played with 5 or 6 transmitters next door :lol:
Who knows....
I guess we will see next week ...After I employ Brian's very helpful advice!
It still may have been my skill level on my part...but when I see very capable pilots having similar issues..it does make one wonder!

P
3 point landing! 3/100 that is.
HEFA #72
MAAC # 84092

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Would the local "native burial ground" have anything to do with this....Nah, watching too much TV..!

Them poor ole DX9's...getting blamed for everything..one of these days they're going to litterly "talk back" about this, and it won't be pretty..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:46 pm

At the indoor in new Glasgow one time I was binding a plane for someone and it took of across the floor by itself. Turned out someone across the room was attempting a bind at the same time and his transmitter bound to the plane in front of me. That could easily happen if you had a model sitting there in bind mode waiting for a signal from a transmitter, any transmitter.

Not likely what happened Saturday night. The dx9 though has two antennas and if two transmitters were on binding at the same time the likelihood of the dx9 over riding the other might be something to consider. Don't know about that but I do know that my dx9 has to be quiite a bit further away from the model than my dx7s when binding or bind always fails. Sometimes 10 feet away.

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 pm

retiredVTT wrote:Would the local "native burial ground" have anything to do with this....Nah, watching too much TV..!

Them poor ole DX9's...getting blamed for everything..one of these days they're going to litterly "talk back" about this, and it won't be pretty..!

Bill
Lol Bill. Saw some mention on one of the forums about one club in the US moving to ban dx9's because they were too noisy on the flight line. Lol

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Brian and Louis both flew their AS3xtras two weeks ago at the same location with at least two DX9s present and this weekend's weirdness didn't occur. The DX9 works the same way as the rest of the Spektrum DSMX line. I don't believe the DX9s had anything to do with the bobbing that was going on.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

steve

Unread post by steve » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:04 pm

It definitely is odd. This afternoon I reset my flight mode to default and I got the correct LED's. I flew it and it was all over the place moving the surfaces own its own, granted, I had limited space but the fault was there. Oddly enough, after abit of flying, the problem lessened and it flew "better".

I checked all my radio settings correct and in standard AS3x mode, the bugger still torgue rolls like nothing I have ever seen.

Steve
Steve

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Just catching up on a few additional posts. I have again reset to DEFAULT settings. This time, the LED did blink 3 X. I am almost positive that I goofed earlier by having throttle kill engaged as I plugged in the battery. I do not recall seeing the timer counting down... but it definitely did this time. Just another point to be watchful of through the procedure.

Without a doubt, I was able to replicate the conditions with the elevator and rapid full travel limits. This is definitely in Flight Mode 2 which is, as I can see it, "hover assistance". Page 6 of the manual confirms that this provides "aggressive" controls and furthermore that "fast forward flight....may cause oscillation". This is all very consistent with what we all observed last evening.

I call this operator error - I should have read the manual more thoroughly.

That all said, if someone wants to try trading their DX9 for a DX8 - then let me know :-)

I am confident that it will fly again nicely. It remains by far my favourite indoor flyer. My other planes either did not make it to the car and my Vapour didn't make it out of the box yesterday!!!

Brian

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:21 pm

The only way you'll get my dx9 is to pry it out of my could dead hands. Lol
Last edited by astroflyer on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

AndrewS wrote:Brian and Louis both flew their AS3xtras two weeks ago at the same location with at least two DX9s present and this weekend's weirdness didn't occur. The DX9 works the same way as the rest of the Spektrum DSMX line. I don't believe the DX9s had anything to do with the bobbing that was going on.

Andrew
Neither do I. The weirdness with that plane is just misunderstanding of how it works and how to work it.