E-flite Yak servo issues...

Discussions related to 3D models.
Metalhead

E-flite Yak servo issues...

Unread post by Metalhead » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I went to fly my YAK on Friday and noticed both ailerons were a bit raised. So, i tried to program it out.

While doing so, i noticed that the aileron servos were not centering properly....if you move the stick say left then right, the servos would move in the right direction but one would always stop about 1/4" befor neutral and then only return to neutral after you moved the stick the other way.

Anyone ever heard of this?

I read the forums and apparently these servos -Eflight EFLR7140- have some issues.

I'm going to chat with Great Hobbies tomorrow to see if they can do something for me about replacement but i can't find the torque rating for the servos.

Anyone know this? I'm looking for a suggestion for replacement servos that won't cost too much....

Thanks,

Brian

steve

Re: E-flite Yak servo issues...

Unread post by steve » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:58 pm

I've highlighted the one that seems the most popular by the other owners of this plane. I am not familiar with this plane personally myself other than seeing yours but this chart should help you

Good luck !
Attachments
Hitec Servo Chart #1.png
Steve

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:16 am

It a common thing for servos to not center....sort of separates the $20. servos from the $100. ones that IMAC guys use. Sometimes the "pots" in them get dirty which affects centering. They are a mass produced item and we put them through a lot...including moving the control surface by hand occasionly...a definite "No No" ...or bumping the control surface as we go through a doorway with the plane. One of the gears may have lost a single tooth and it would show up as erractic behavior.
I would not expect GH to do anything positive on this...but you never know until you ask...!

Hitec servos are the big seller...and the HS85's with metal gears that Steve points are a good choice.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dirt Torpedo

?

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 am

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply's

I have found the same thing, that most ppl are putting in the hs-85mg's....wonder where to get them cheaper?

I also wonder if this aileron servo had anything to do with the big crash a few weeks ago? I thought it was a wind gust that drove the plane into the ground, but maybe the servo stuck?

LOL...just trying to justify my pilot error...lol :lol:

Brian

steve

Unread post by steve » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:19 am

I use alot of Hitec servos....which pretty much proves pilot error for all my crashes.... :)

Steve
Steve

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:08 pm

I've had pretty good success with these servos Brian which are pretty close in spec to the HS85MG:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=6608

You might want to do a search and see if anyone has tried them on the Yak...

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Over the years I've noticed that GH in PEI are very competitive with their pricing of Hitec servos..often beating what some US retailers are selling them for. And if you did get a lemon from them, they would help you out.

I'll mention something here that many of the "newer" members might not realize.

If you let Great Hobbies know your MAAC number....they will reduce your shipping costs by 5% of your order. Order $100. worth and $5. comes off your shipping cost. It all helps.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi Rick and Bill,

thanks!

I'll definitely check out the servos! And i didn't know that about GH!!

I'm going to PEI on Thursday night, back sunday afternoon....if anyone wants me to pick anything up, please let me know...

Brian