Avon Fly-in August 6 2023

Discussions related to sail plane models.
JohnOSullivan

Avon Fly-in August 6 2023

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:56 pm

My first adventure into outdoor flying in 2023. Having flown weekly indoors since November, I was apprehensive about flying outdoors as a result of vague and often conflicting MAAC and TC regulations. Well I braved the elements today at Avon and found a large and Happy bunch of fliers of a full range of various types of models approved by MAAC. This had been my longest period of non flying outdoors since 1995 when I spent 6 months in a bush camp in northern Labrador without a model.
Weather was Sunny and great and in spite of a wind forecast of 17 to 35 kph, it was 5 to 10 kph variable in direction. Perfect!
No draconian imposition of nonsensical TC or MAAC rules, just flying as normal.
I had some flights with my 2M electric sailplanes, being careful to limit my motor runs to 4 seconds or less to keep within 400 ft altitude limit.
Thermal activity was surprisingly poor an no eagles passed by to indicate the thermals.
Many thanks to the Avon for an excellent Flying session and barbecue.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Re: Avon Fly-in August 6 2023

Unread post by bdg » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:03 pm

Indeed John - it was a great day. AVON was fantastic. The field was in good shape and the comradery was - as usual - great. I saw folks that I haven't seen in many months. What a great bunch of people these RC guys! Nice to see some different planes and helicopters too. Jon had one... and wow.... was it ever fast! Parts similar to the V900 as I understand which are FAST.

Thanks again to AVON for their preparation and amazing hospitality!

Brian