Sub-250g Slope Soaring!

Discussions related to sail plane models.
DoverSail

Sub-250g Slope Soaring!

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:56 pm

When life gives you lemons, you take your sub-250g mini dart 2 to a beautiful spot and do some finger-chilling slope soaring! I have been CRAVING some flying time, as I’m sure many are, so instead of cursing the wind every day (seriously though, has it ever been this windy for this long?) I figured I’d try to find a spot to make use of it.

As it turns out, there’s a great hill nearby with suitable slopes for flying if the wind is coming from anywhere between west and north. Not bad! I hope to get out more often.

The mini dart 2 is perfect because it is under 250g, and can deploy flaps to gently land in my hand.
Attachments
Beauty shot!
Beauty shot!

bdg

Re: Sub-250g Slope Soaring!

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:50 pm

Looks good! Thanks for sharing. These DLGs seem like A LOT of fun and challenge.

The sub-250g seems to be more and more popular for obvious reasons!!

It is important for everyone to remember that these fall below the TC regulations and essentially these are treated as a toy. You are not covered by MAAC. More info can be found at https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... _EN_V8.pdf and per the snip below:
Capture_sub250g.JPG
Of course, there are some restrictions with sub-250g RPAS including that pilots cannot fly in Class F airspace. So common-sense, education and caution is always needed!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:35 pm

Well said Brian.

There are still rules that pertain to sun-250g operation, but it is a little less restrictive and, as you say, does not fall under MAAC.

It’s enough to scratch the itch anyway!

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am

Where does it say in MAAC regulations that models under 250 gm are not covered by MAAC insurance?
This would eliminate just about all of 1/2A (049 size Models) and the vast majority of Rubber Powered and glider Free Flight models all of which have been strongly supported by MAAC since its inception.
MAAC supports Radio Controlled DLGs at International level at World Championships. Many models of this class model are under 250 gm.
This would also exclude indoor rubber powered models at which last month a MAAC supported team represented Canada.

We need some hard facts on this. Too many recent rumours are destroying MAAC's credibility.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:07 am

John - it might be better to take this offline and outside of a public forum - reach out anytime - but this is my understanding (and I could be wrong) with the following Core Requirements:
  • The 250g RPAS are not regulated by TC. The RPAS does not need to be registered. The pilot does not require a Basic nor Advanced certification.
  • In the example noted, and for the outdoor flying as described, at least for now - the pilot is flying outside of MAAC coverage. That is what we are trying to clarify.
  • MAAC safety code MSD 3 Section 4.1(b) (reference https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=35) cites that the TC CAR exemption applies as follows:
    The Exemption applies to all MAAC members operating RPAS weighing between 250 grams and 35 kilograms, at any outdoor location such as MAAC sanctioned flying sites or events and to MAAC members operating RPAS from Personal Flying Sites.
    That said, I would think that MAAC coverage would apply to members even to smaller RPAS. I am not sure why there is a lower weight limit of 250g cited.
  • This 250g limit is also cited in the official TC exemption PDF linked in the MSD 3:
    Capture_TC_250g.JPG
    I expect that the 250g limit for the MAAC exemption is based upon the TC requirement that sub-250g RPAS are not regulated by TC.
  • It is my understanding that anyone flying at a MAAC field / event needs to be a MAAC member. We really can't have someone come to a MAAC field with a <250g RPAS (who is not a member) and use that MAAC field for their enjoyment in whatever what they please.
Again, please do not hesitate to reach out by email, John.

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:22 pm

Hello HEFA Members.... we have some clarifications regarding sub-250g RPAS from MAAC. We are fortunate to have a highly interested and responsive Zone Director who knows the standards and who wants to help us to understand. And as we know there are lots of MSD codes to review and to understand - and that this review / understanding is a requirement to be a MAAC member.
  • MSD 3 was referenced above - but specifically 4.1(b). Cato has directed us to the next clause 4.2 which states that these sub-250g RPAS do not fall under the TC exemption but must still follow all applicable MAAC safety codes:
    Capture_MSD3_42.JPG
  • MSD 25 further defines that an RPAS (under MAAC rules) is any craft 0-35kg. This includes the sub-250g RPAS.
    Capture_MSD25_RPAS.JPG
The points above (to me) prevail but with the inclusion of sub-250g RPAS in the MAAC umbrella.

I hope that this helps to clarify things. Please reach out directly should you have any questions.

Brian