Lawrencetown Sea Breezes

Discussions related to sail plane models.
rhyneheimer

Lawrencetown Sea Breezes

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Hey Slopers, bookmark this! Lawrencetown is known for stronger than "normal" SW sea breezes due to inland marshy flats that absorb heat and contribute to the convective cycle, as mentioned in Environment Canada's Scotia/Fundy Marine Weather Guide, and East Coast Marine Weather Manual. The SW sea breeze is always preferable to the more humid and turbulent prevailing SW wind (i.e. when it is SW "everywhere"). Since a sea breeze is a convective cycle, condensing while rising over the warmer land, the air is drier after having descended over the cooler ocean. The cycle forms over a shorter distance, so it always seems to be more laminar, and lacks the turbulence that builds up over miles of ocean exposure for a prevailing wind that also picks up moisture. (I have no source for this part, just decades of observation). Sea breezes are characterized by having visible, rising, billowing, condensing, cumulus clouds inland that drift seaward at high altitude and then evaporate as they descend. The atmospheric pressure pushes the air from SE to NW (inland), but veers due to Coriolis forces. The wind deflects and spirals up the coast to the NE to produce a SW sea breeze at sea level at the NS Atlantic coast. Of particular importance, an onshore (SE) wind will keep the land from heating up and actually prevent a sea breeze, whereas an offshore (NW) breeze helps the land heat up and can enhance the formation of a sea breeze.
A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

DoverSail

Re: Lawrencetown Sea Breezes

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks for sharing.
I am keeping a close eye on the wind forecasts and hope to arrange a Lawrencetown day as soon as possible!
Nothing beats spending hours in a lawnchair, drinking pop and eating muffins from the cafe, and soaring.