Potential Lawrencetown Sloping Sunday August 21?

Discussions related to sail plane models.
DoverSail

Potential Lawrencetown Sloping Sunday August 21?

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:57 am

Saturday the 20th looks too windy for SP, but Sunday the 21st doesn't look too bad for potential slope soaring. Any takers, if the weather holds? :D
Attachments
sunday.PNG

bdg

Re: Potential Lawrencetown Sloping Sunday August 21?

Unread post by bdg » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:48 am

What is the ideal wind direction at Lawrencetown? Would it be South or South-West?

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 am

That's a question best answered by John, but I think the best direction is south or very slightly south-east.
But very slightly south-west has definitely worked in the past. My MiniDart 2 can soar on basically no lift at all!
Kevin is busy this weekend, but I'd sure like to get out there for some cool ocean breezes if I can manage it and if conditions warrant.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:25 am

Best wind by far is Southwest. For heavy models wind of 20 to 30 kph is good. For lighter models such as Joshua's Introduction and my Mayfly anything from 8 kph to 15 kph is optimal, but will handle up to 20 + kph.
Southeast is dicey with wind coming into the hill at 45 Deg and with the steeper part of the slope this can result in much turbulence.
South is good rounding around to West-southwest.

Sunday morning shows very light winds in the morning with a pickup in the afternoon both at Shannon and Lawrencetown.
My four forecasts show winds from SW (2) S (1) and SE (1) for Lawrencetown in the mid day to afternoon at about 11 to 14 kph. Just perfect for a relaxing slope session with light models.
Many of the typical models flown at Shannon will work well at Lawrecetown especially the trainers. You do not have a groomed landing strip though.

For those of you who have not experienced Slope flying it's worth a visit even just to watch. It can be as relaxing or exciting as you want depending on wind strength and model. Also flights are not limited by motor and you can stay up for hours if you want.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:44 am

Thanks for the useful info John!
I will keep looking at the weather and update this thread with my intentions. An 11am-1pm soaring session (give or take an hour or so depending on winds) would be just right this time of year!

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Just checking on Slope conditions and they look perfect for Slope Soaring at Lawrencetown Sunday afternoon. Winds 10 to 15kph from South perfect for light models. Come and see the relaxing side of Slope soaring. John Woodfield from Cornwall in England has a web site and has videos of his many sailplanes from super lightweights to heavier aerobatic models. Many of our group have not seen slope soaring and I suggest you view some of his videos which will open up a new side of the hobby to you. https://www.youtube.com/user/SURFHERO1
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:07 pm

Pictures! We need pictures and a report!

Thanks!

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:15 am

Sadly the wind did not co-operate with us and we did not wind up going!
Hopefully we get another change soon.

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:35 pm

I was charged to go, thx to John for the heads up, so I decided to cruise out just for a dress rehearsal, and just for the hell of it. Hot as Hades in the beating sun, wind was S to SE 6-8 kph, which I took to be a faint seabreeze, but not good for flying. Threw my Alula a couple times along the edge, again for the hell of it, but didn't chance having to climb down the muddy dusty bluff in the horrible heat. Was a nice ride out and back, but hoping for SW wind next time, be it prevailing or preferably a sea breeze.
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone