Sailplanes at HEFA

Discussions related to sail plane models.
DoverSail

Sailplanes at HEFA

Unread post by DoverSail » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:34 am

I am excited to see so many new members joining us for the good times at HEFA

With so many new faces around, I just wanted to throw a pitch out there for the exciting and always-rewarding world of sailplane flying.
In recent years, high-quality, easy-to-build sailplane kits have become more available than ever before. The electronics (motors, receivers, servos) are cheaper than ever. I think if we could get a few more people flying sailplanes at Shannon Park, we could consider starting up some informal contests. We would be the easternmost contest flyers by several hundred kilometers!

With that said, I would like to highlight a few promising kits that anyone (and I mean anyone) could easily get built and flying in a matter of only a few weeks, in the hopes that some in the club may find them interesting and join in the fun!

First, we have two kits from Armsoar, which ships out of Canada.

The Medina https://www.armsoar.com/collections/ele ... 3l-f5l-kit is a new kit selling for $330. It is an "F5L" plane, with a 2M wingspan, rudder, elevator, motor for launching, and spoiler for landing. Basically an electric variant of the popular (in Europe, alas for we who suffer in North America) F3RES-class planes, and it is meant to be an affordable but high-performance entry into sailplane soaring.
Medina.PNG
Medina.PNG (418.73 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Also available pre-order from Armsoar is the Phantom. It is an F5K plane, which is the electric variant of the F3K "Discus Launch Glider" class. You may have seen me throwing my DLG around, this is similar, though made of balsa and much more affordable. Because this plane is not discus launched, it does not need to be built as strong. https://www.armsoar.com/collections/ele ... ts/phantom
The Phantom would be a really fun plane; it has a four-servo wing (!!!) with flaps and ailerons, giving you lots of opportunities to do cool wing mixes like snap flaps, butterfly for landing etc. These F5K planes are smaller (1.5M wingspan) but the precise designs offer a huge amount of control to optimise thermal performance.
phantom.PNG

Of course if you are looking for something a little more local, you will recognise John's Mayfly, which is a 2M ship with excellent performance, which also falls roughly into the F5L / F3RES-electric class. The Mayfly flies very well, can take a beating, and has several innovative features that I am sure John would be happy to add to this thread. I don't want to speak for the designer!
mayflies.jpg
mayflies.jpg (148.32 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
If you're looking for something more RTF, the "Night Radian" is still available from GreatHobbies etc. It's a proven foamy design, and the club actually has a radian as a sailplane trainer, so if anyone wants to give gliders a try without getting fully committed yet, please let any of the directors know (myself included) and we will try to arrange a time for you to stretch your wings.
https://www.greathobbies.com/productinf ... arprodside
radian.jpg
radian.jpg (4.52 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
There are MANY more excellent planes on the market today, including a few amazing DLGs. Personally, I can say DLGs represent the most fun I have ever had in RC and I encourage anyone with even a passing interest to come chat with me about them. My first DLG was the Mini Dart 2, made in Ukraine and sold through Armsoar https://www.armsoar.com/collections/gli ... ini-dart-2
MD2.PNG
MD2.PNG (492.02 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
In summary, there has NEVER been an easier, better time to get into sailplanes. They are so much more than just launching and gliding slowly back to earth. Sailplanes require flying with purpose, attention to what the air and environment are doing, focus on the plane, and a real familiarity with how your plane is set up and what it does in different kinds of air. Though I rarely fly power planes, I am sure that flying a sailplane would also improve general piloting skills. Get involved in this fascinating facet of our hobby today, and see what all the fuss is about!

DoverSail

Re: Sailplanes at HEFA

Unread post by DoverSail » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:47 am

Just bumping this so it shows up in the Board Index, since I suspect nobody really looks down this far ;)

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:50 pm

This is an awesome thread, Josh! Thanks for sharing.

I have the Radian Pro and original Radian and find them enjoyable to fly... just need a bigger car!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:00 pm

bdg wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:50 pm
just need a bigger car!

Brian
You’re talking to a fiat 500 driver! Anything is possible! :D

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:17 pm

Great initiative Josh!
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:09 pm

I just received an email indicating that the carbon fibre 1 metre DLG, “Deviant” is now back in stock as an RTF (needs a RX) model. https://www.armsoar.com/products/devian ... dsQ.ViLV8j