Recovery from a MidAir

Discussions related to sail plane models.
JohnOSullivan

Recovery from a MidAir

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:57 pm

In the past couple of weeks I have had two Midairs with my 4 metre Pulsar sailpane. The first damaged a couple of panels on the left flap and the second on Canada day had the right aileron badly damaged. Fortunately no damage to the main structural parts of the wing.
Midairs are very rare at Shannon and to have two in a couple of weeks is amazing.

Repairs are completed just need to recover the Aileron.
Attachments
P1110059R.JPG
P1110762R.JPG
P1110751R.JPG
P1110756R.JPG
P1110759R.JPG
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

DoverSail

Re: Recovery from a MidAir

Unread post by DoverSail » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:54 pm

These recent incidents are making me nervous to fly my Intro! It's MUCH more fragile than your Pulsar, I shudder to think of what might happen if it were hit. Perhaps I could install some pool noodles or something for impact resistance... :lol:

JohnOSullivan

Re: Recovery from a MidAir

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Have no fear Joshua.
Records of midairs at Shannon show that there have been very, very few and when the occasional one happens they are faultless on both sides.
There is no reason to take any radical action, other than take the usual avoidance approach.

I typically fly my sailplanes out of the area where the regular electric powered models fly. I use a 10 to 12 second climb maximum which takes me to about 450 to 500 ft altitude. I wait until the area is clear and usually climb out to the northwest in an area where the other models don't fly. I generally do not enter the regular circuit area until I am preparing to land and this is always an un-powered stage for my models. I do not attempt another climb until I am below 25 ft or so, and making sure there are no models in my climb area. I used to fly mainly in the area of where the old residential buildings used to be, but with prohibition by Canada Lands from using this area, I have to mix more with the regular flying circuit. The two midairs in the last couple of weeks were total coincidences and no way reflect any negligent flying by any of the flyers.
On both of my midairs, damage to my models was confined to the flap and aileron of the model which suggests that both interactions were due to a model approaching my model from the rear while I was in gliding mode.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26