New DLG in Nova Scotia

Discussions related to sail plane models.
DoverSail

New DLG in Nova Scotia

Unread post by DoverSail » Thu May 13, 2021 2:34 pm

A month or so ago I put out feelers to see if anyone had any dusty discus launch gliders in their basement. It seemed like that well was dry, so I started looking around at new DLGs.

Typical 1.5m F3K models (Armsoar BAMF, AURI, Snipe, etc.) tend to be very expensive to buy new, and very expensive to ship used, due to the fact that they have a 1 piece wing and fixed cross-tail. Mini DLGs, 1M in wingspan, have become very popular lately due to advances in materials and build quality making them a viable compromise on price.

After some research, I settled on the Mini Dart 2 "https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products. ... t-2-1m-dlg" DLG from Hyperflight. The fibreglass layup model (140g AUW) came to about $275 after shipping, so not too bad!

I ordered four EMAX ES9051 digital servos, a 6 channel receiver, and a 1S lipo from greathobbies, and that finishes the set.

It is not assembled yet, but I figured I would share some photos I took of the airframe.

I think this will be perfect for flying in parks and small fields compared to my big 3M Introduction. At 140g, this also does not need to fly under the aegis of MAAC or anything; as long as I abide by the basic sub-250g rules from TC.
Could also be fun for sloping!
Attachments
MD2_2_small.jpg
MD2_3.jpg

JohnOSullivan

Re: New DLG in Nova Scotia

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu May 13, 2021 4:34 pm

Happy to see your quick delivery of the model from Hyperflight. My dealing with them in the past has been excellent and service was unbeatable.
I can recommend them highly.
Ready built composite models are NOT cheap, but their durability and quality more than compensates for the price. Back in the 80's and 90's I was moulding my own models. but the quality could not compare with the products on the market today. The moulds of today's models cost tens of thousands to manufacture and the products reflect that. That's why even though I like to fly my own designs I will still dabble in the exotic manufactured products such as my Pulsars. There is no way that I could match the quality and consistency of these modern moulded models.

Your one metre Mini Dart is an excellent start in DLG (Disus Launch Glider) and is a very economic approach compared with the 1.5 metre models which run well over $1000 to get in the air. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri May 14, 2021 7:55 am

Looks like a great addition to your fleet! How high go you think you can get this on launch? I've only ever seen on DLG and that was at our Canada Day event several years ago... that one likely hit 150' or maybe a little more.

I am really looking forward to seeing this one in action!!!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri May 14, 2021 11:48 am

John: Agreed on the cost of moulded sailplanes. Luckily this one was shockingly cheap. The cost of these 1M models has lowered the bar for entry into DLGs, I think.

The Armsoar Deviant (beautiful pro-level call carbon 1M model) is $475 or so, though shipping is *painful*. I think there are a few models around that level. Mine is definitely not as nice as the Deviant, but if it is robust I will be quite happy with it.

Brian: I believe that with a mini-DLG like this, 50M would be quite good for me if I can get to that point.
The programming for these planes is intensely complicated because they undergo so many vastly different flight conditions.

At launch they can be flying at over 100kph. You launch relatively flat to the horizon while holding a momentary switch to access "launch mode", which uses elevator and snap flaps to quickly rotate the plane to a vertical flight path.

Then you let go of the MoM switch and the plane enters "zoom mode", with some reflex on the flaps to kill all the lift and make it act like a ballistic lawn dart.

Touching the elevator stick will cause the flight mode to change to "cruise", for general flying. I have programmed this in using a series of Logical Switches available from openTX.

Then there's thermal mode and often a "float mode" which is tuned for minimum sink in dead air.

Lots to figure out!! I have some help from a few guys in Ontario who are very into the DLG scene.

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sat May 15, 2021 7:20 am

My Topsky 1 was bought from Thomas at Armsoar. Very good to deal with.

I haven't flown it in several years, but was managing to get 100+feet consistently. Don't think I remember how any more LOL.

I was still learning thermals at that point so wasn't very good at finding them, but I did get a bit of one at SP.
They are not the best to fly at SP with other plane types as you need to be out on the field for a longer period of time at launch than one of our "regular" gliders.
I need a new battery for mine.
When things caln down/open up again I'll bring her out to SP, Josh, and you can take a look.
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Cool Andrew, I’d love to see it sometime.

I won’t be flying the DLG at SP too much for the aforementioned reasons. DLGs and powered planes don’t really mix well. But I’m excited that the Mini Dart 2 is sun-250g so it’s legal to fly anywhere that drones etc aren’t actively forbidden.

The rest of the parts will be here Tuesday so I’m hoping to get this going for next weekend!

Andrew, your top sky is a 1.5m with a carbon fibre spar right?

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat May 15, 2021 5:45 pm

Hey Josh! I am sure that we can find a way for you to fly the DLG at SP. I can't see any reason why that couldn't happen. We're all excited to see it in action once this craziness subsides!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 pm

This is just a quick, basic video of some of my first flights with the MD2 DLG during a rare moment when the abysmal weather cooperated with me.
So far, I have a very good impression of the plane; it flies well, it can be relatively hands-off, and hand-catch landings are a lot of fun! I am really excited to get a chance to fly this in proper conditions at a better-quality field where I can range out a bit to search for lift.

https://youtu.be/h6k54xS98LA

Enjoy!

P.S. We should get a few people with these things together so we can have a contest!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon May 31, 2021 5:51 pm

Wow! I like it... a lot! Looks like a lot of technique in the launch but it looks rewarding and fun! I am looking forward to seeing it in action first hand.

It's "funny" - you'd posted about the purchase and I went to their site for more information. At that time, they had 2 in stock. A few hours later.... gone! Price looked reasonable at that time.

Thanks for sharing.... and watch out for ticks!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Mon May 31, 2021 6:56 pm

Hey Brian,
I did see that they sold out pretty quickly.
There appear to be several of the glass layup ones (like the one I bought) and a few carbon ones now. These planes are made in Ukraine.