Beginner Slope Glider?

Discussions related to sail plane models.
Coyote

Beginner Slope Glider?

Unread post by Coyote » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Ok folks -

Let's assume I fell off my nitro rocking chair and was going to look into a glider for slope soaring, what would be my best bet to start with?

Only 2 constraints are that; first it have an electric motor (I hate swimming) and two, I not have to sell another RC plane or my 4Runner to afford it.

Googling some recommendations I came across the Parkzone Radian (not the pro version) but was wondering if review was accurate or if there are better recommendations for slope soaring beginners.

Looking forward to your expert slope soaring advice :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Halifax Electric Flyers Association (HEFA) # 054
MAAC #35128
DX9

AndrewS

Re: Beginner Slope Glider?

Unread post by AndrewS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Hey Marc,
The Radian, either version, is fine at the Slope. My goto plane for Lawrencetown is my Easy Glider Pro. The foam construction holds up better than covered Balsa to some of the undergrowth we have to land on. Truth be told if the wind is strong enough you could Slope just about anything. Rob flew his Stryker just fine after we got him to stop using the motor.

Dave, Brian and Trevor all fly Radians, And even Colin has found something he didn't expect flying his Easy Star off the cliff.

The motor is nice to have but I have only used mine to stretch a bad landing approach... Too far back from the edge and too close to the road.
It is great fun.
Another benefit from the standard Radian is that it is a great first thermal sailplane.

Renounce the dark side Lake, oops I mean Marc, come into the light. Lol
Thermalling is harder than it looks and can be pretty amazing when you realize that your plane just gained 500+ ft by just circling in a column of rising warmer air.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:52 pm

here's my take on it - you really need to see all the various models fly in a variety of wind conditions before you make up your mind regarding your target plane. some folks like light winds and floating on the breeze hands off, where as others, ahem, cough, prefer powering through gales with aerobatic heavy ridge rockets - 60+ mph winds are possible when you can hardly stand up. every opportunity that you get to come out and see the possibilities will help out with your decision

i'll come out with u at the drop off a hat if ur interested - me, i like it all
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 pm

You do not have to commit to a dedicated slope sailplane to try out slope flying. A medium weight foam model will fly in most conditions. As Andrew said, the only time you will need to use the motor is when you go back too far on the slope. As for launching over the slope and the model sinking, it just does not happen. The model will rise magically automatically.
It would be best to have a sailplane, but anything with an 8 to 15 oz/sq ft wing loading is perfect for the slope.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 am

With care almost anything will fly on the slope. I have flown 049 glow planes on the slope without starting the motor. I even left the prop on.

If the electric plane you fly will do slow passes at your favorite flying field, and not suddenly snap roll and spin on you, then it is a potential plane for the slope. if the plane glides like a brick or has to be flown at a minimum of half throttle to stay in the air, it probably will not be a satisfactory experience on the slope. Most of the glider like planes, Easy Star, Bixler, and similar are perfect for starters. In fact you could use either of those without the motor installed. I suspect that even those indoor planes such as the T-28 or Mosquito could be flown at the slope on the lighter wind days.

If you are comfortable landing a given plane dead stick, then it is likely suitable. If in a dead stick situation you have to literally dive at 45 deg angle to keep it flying, then it is not likely going to work on the slope.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

steve

Unread post by steve » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am

All great replies here. I too am going to start a build this winter. I particularly like John's claim jumper.

What about the electro streak, I have one partially started after looking at John Walkers.......

Steve
Steve

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Steve, John's Claim Jumper is a beautiful design and ideal for the slope. The Electrostreak is also a great plane for the slope.

It is completely true that almost anything will fly on the slope, given the right wind conditions for the particular model. A veritable lead sled is just as good on the slope as a feather-weight glider - in the right conditions!

About the only sort of design that doesn't do well as a slope glider is a design that is overly draggy. For example, a scale WWI biplane is not going to work very well in any kind of conditions on the slope, with all it's struts and wires and big blunt nose. It just has too much parasite and profile drag to function efficiently as a glider and needs thrust to overcome this drag and maintain (or gain) altitude as it passes through the air.

Vic

steve

Unread post by steve » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks,

Just have to see if John O is willing to provide a set of plans. It would be great to do a winter build session as he has a few very interesting build designs for this flyer. I don't think I would be able to do it correctly without his invaluable help.

Now that Ive "hi jacked" Coyote's thread good and proper.....:)

Steve
Steve

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:44 pm

steve wrote:Thanks,

Just have to see if John O is willing to provide a set of plans. It would be great to do a winter build session as he has a few very interesting build designs for this flyer. I don't think I would be able to do it correctly without his invaluable help.

Steve
I've been carting a full size set of plans in the car for the past month. Forgot to give them to you last weekend.
I designed this model in 1997. in the early 1980's Craig Greening, a US flier, built two versions, a V-tail and Cross tail.
At the time the 60" slope racer class was very popular. He said that it was fastest in their region. Craig went on to be Team manager on the US sailplane team at the world champs and is now one of the Senior people in Horizon Hobbies.
I have considered a build course over the winter. This will involve a foam cutting class for the wing and an introduction to my 1/32" plywood fuselage construction, and the application of lightweight glass skinning of the fuselage.. Perhaps we can get some of the parts laser cut.
Full size PDF plans are downloadable at www.windandwavemodels.com
Click on Claim Jumper 60" Slope Racer.
I have drawings for both the V-Tail and Cross Tail version. The wing section used in the original was the S7012, but a more modern more efficient section is being used now.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Marc,
I bought a radian pro because it was cheap and easy .
I have to say that I really like it although I have not tried sloping it yet.
Don't thing you can go wrong withit!

Brian