Lawrencetown slope Sunday Afternoon 25 Aug

Discussions related to sail plane models.
JohnOSullivan

Lawrencetown slope Sunday Afternoon 25 Aug

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Beautiful flying day today at Shannon Park. nil to light west air. Brian G had a beautiful Radian flight recorded by his Spectrum altimeter. rose from about 120 m to 250+m on a thermal ( altitudes from memory, but give an idea of the power of thermals.
Now 4:11pm and it looks like wind has swung around to SSW at 8-10kph (light). Ideal for lightweight soaring at Lawrencetown. Radian, Spectra or Gentle Lady types (also Pulsars).
I'm heading out for a low key gentle soaring session.
Guaranteed to have NO FOG!
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Re: Lawrencetown slope Sunday Afternoon 25 Aug

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Just got back from Lawrencetown. so much for weather forecasts. Instead of 8-10 kph there was 31 kph! wind was right on the hill and NO fog.
This was about on the upper limit for the Pulsar, but I put up a 30 minute flight in great conditions.
Between Shannon for Free Flight and Thermal and Lawrencetown for slope - a great flying day.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Re: Lawrencetown slope Sunday Afternoon 25 Aug

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:44 pm

This morning at Shannon we had some active Osprey activity. Normally these are docile birds who fly with little attention to our models. Today, Brian G had an osprey flying in coordination with him without problems. When John Walker flew his Spectra, the Osprey got a bit agitated and made some aggressive approaches. This is the first time I have ever seen an Osprey take an aggressive stance. John was not in a threatening position with the osprey at any stage.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26