anyone want to come slope soaring with me in Ireland?

Discussions related to sail plane models.
JohnOSullivan

anyone want to come slope soaring with me in Ireland?

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Here are some shots from a slope soaring event in County Kerry in the southwest of Ireland this past May. I have flown on some of these sites. 300-600 ft heights. some others I have flown on in Ireland have 1200 ft + elevation differences.
When I first came to Nova Scotia I had been spoiled with these sites, but our Lawrencetown site is a wonderful slope site, despite being less than 100 ft high.
For those of you who have not had sloping experience, make the effort to go out there. It's a different experience, making use of the natural air currents to keep your model aloft.
You do not actually need a dedicated sailplane. A medium sized electric warbird will work quite well and many of the other regular models will slope quite well. These models have the advantage that if you get to low over the slope, you can use the motor to recover height. a few of our members have recently tried out the Lawrencetown slope with surprising enjoyment.
this link will show the current conditions at Lawrencetown http://www.slople.com/index.php?city=ha ... fox%2F22.0
Attachments
day3-21.jpg
31.JPG
28.jpg
day3-12.jpg
26.JPG
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

nunyabizniss34

Re: anyone want to come slope soaring with me in Ireland?

Unread post by nunyabizniss34 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm

I will agree with John here, I did my first slope soaring session this past Friday evening. Now, you all know how much I love my helicopters, but I was pleasantly surprised by how I thoroughly enjoyed slope soaring. I was only using an Easystar, I can only imagine how much better it would have been had I used a proper glider.

For those of you that haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. It's a great aspect of our hobby that I, quite honestly, didn't think would appeal to me. But there's something about throwing your aircraft off a cliff, unpowered and in strong winds, that is very appealing.
Colin
Parkzone Sport Cub
Eflite Timber Turbo
Trex 470L
Goblin 420
Mikado Logo 550

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Amazing place to fly from those pics.

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Awe John, I'm disappointed. ;)
I thought you were offering an all expenses paid sloping trip. Instead it's just an ad for Lawrencetown. :lol: :lol:
Still a lot of fun even if we don't get to cross the pond.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:40 pm

wow!
what do you mean low rates and expo???