Wet weekend allows some refurbishing

Discussions related to sail plane models.
JohnOSullivan

Wet weekend allows some refurbishing

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:12 pm

After two wonderful weather weekends we are crapped on this Canada Day weekend. The past couple of weekends, I had the fortune to attend the Moncton Multicopter Fly-in and got lots of Hexacopter time then last week a a mix of 40+ minute Sailplane flights, hexacopter flights and Real Electric free Flight Duration flights with my 50 year old designed model.
Today I re-assessed my stable of Electric Sailplanes.
My Blue Hyper 2.3 m model got a bit damaged last fall after a sudden motor cut just after launch. I have not flown it so far this season. I have repaired it and it is now ready to go.
My 1.8 metre Pulsar needed some covering patching so this was done.
The 2.5 metre Magellan which I bought last year to replace an earlier one (the Purple one) which exploded when it landed on power lines in Aug 2011 at lawrencetown, is nearly completed. Carbon wing which turned into a big AFRO carbon hairdo. I had delayed finishing this as the motor (Multiplex G480) I had considered too low powered and wanted a peppier replacement. Well this week the Hyperion Glider motors came on sale and I ordered one up for it. Looking forward to getting it in the air.
To complete the fleet, I have an old 2.5 metre Pike which I am tuning up. All these models are of Ukrainian or Czech origin and are considered the epitome of state of the art sailplane designs.
Once I get the Pike in decent flying trim I will consider putting it up for sale.
In the meantime, I have refurbished my 44 year old Free flight Executioner wing ( built as those guys were landing on the moon in July 1969). I have built a new fuselage, and have started on a tailplane for it. This is for the new contest class for electric Free Flight duration.
I know much of this Sailplane and Free Flight stuff is strange to most of you, but it is a just a quick look at the diversity of model flying.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

trevor

Re: Wet weekend allows some refurbishing

Unread post by trevor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:09 am

Thats great john. You wete A busy man indeed. :D
what do you mean low rates and expo???