I needed some batteries, so...

Discussions related to sail plane models.
Enforcer

Re: I needed some batteries, so...

Unread post by Enforcer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:05 pm

falcondart wrote:murray : that machine looks like a great slope flyer. We'll have to start going to Lawerencetown ..evenings.

Right on... when?... I'm there!

Murray
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Enforcer wrote:Hey, for $99.00 (platinum member price) + $47.00 Shipping, I can't loose John. :D You nkow me, I like to experiment with what "might" be junk. We'll just have to wait and see. If it flys well, I'll be laughing! If it doesn't, I'll yell and scream. Either way, I'll be happy!!!! :lol: :lol:

Murray
I'm not suggesting in any way that it is junk - Just that the Easy Star is a proven design which is in a different category of model which is more suited to beginners.

The Minimoa is a glider and more closely related in size to the Radian, without having the proven track record of the Radian.
It should be a reasonable model, but with the quoted all up weight of 25 ozs, I would be a little bit suspicious of its durability especially the spanwise spar rigidity.
Good Luck with it,
John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:53 pm

John... you have to understand... most of my posts are based on humour (well, I try) ;) I didn't think you were suggesting anything. You know more about glidders than I... obviously. ;) Most of the planes I order from HK, "are junk"... that's just a fact of life.... and products from China in general! :lol:

"Let the Force (happy faces) guide you Luke (John)!" :D

Murray
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Maybe that's my problem - I tend to take people at their word and deal mostly with facts. It's probably best that I leave the forum clear of factual information.
John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

steve

Unread post by steve » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:30 pm

JohnOSullivan wrote:Maybe that's my problem - I tend to take people at their word and deal mostly with facts. It's probably best that I leave the forum clear of factual information.
John

Truth and facts are so overrated....lol :lol:

steve
Steve

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:42 am

JohnOSullivan wrote:...It's probably best that I leave the forum clear of factual information.
Please reconsider John.

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 pm

JohnOSullivan wrote:...It's probably best that I leave the forum clear of factual information.
Facts are great! It's a known fact for instance that you should never take me seriously! ;) Or STEVE for that matter!!!! :lol:

Let's see what the plane looks like up front and personal... and how (or if) it flys. Then, let the facts flow! :)

Murray
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 pm

My oroder has been held up due to one item being out of stock (6 x 2200 3s 25C FlightMax batteries at $11.49 each). So, I used the online chat service and changed that part of the order to 4 x 2200 3s 25-50C Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries at $16.48.

Not as many 2200s as I would have liked, but these "Nono-Tech" batteries are "supposed" to be more powerfull, result in longer flights, and can be charged at up to 5C. We shall see if all this is true! ;)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=11911

Murray
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:25 pm

BTW, 3 reviews have come in for this plane... no complaints so far! :)

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... Plug-n-Fly
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:37 pm

The reviews now seem to indicate incomplete documentation, touchy in pitch, and they are a glider. And while being a glider, it is not a slope soarer. The Easy Star is well documented, lots of threads on RCG, and is about the same price. About $80.00 with the motor. Add 2 servos and an ESC and it comes to about $150.00. The difference is the quality of the servos and ESC you can get for the $70.00 is possibly better than those that come with HK product. Delivery is maybe 14 days from Mighty Small Cars.

And if you want to glide, the Easy Star is not too bad. I went from 200' high to 600+ feet 2 weeks ago with the power off, all the while carrying a 30C 2200 3S and a 162 gram camera.

As a trainer the Easy Star can be flown slowly, is predictable, and when trimmed will land by itself with the power off, all features that a new flyer needs but does not always appreciate that they need. Also parts for the Easy Star are available. Most part availability from H K is poor or non existent.

So I wish you all the best, but I would suggest that maybe there are more suitable planes to be used as a trainer.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)