My first EDF jet.

Discussions related to jet models.
Enforcer

My first EDF jet.

Unread post by Enforcer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:18 pm

Well, while I was at Great Hobbies in PEI today, I picked up a few things. One of them was an Electrifly Diablo RTF. For those that don't know, this is a "beginner" EDF jet, that can be upgraded to an "advanced" EDF jet. I bought it for these reason, and it's low price, of $150.00.

When I opened the box, I was quite impressed with what comes with it (see review link below). But upon doing some research, it would appear that this plane flies like a turkey... that is if you can get it to fly at all without mods.

All I can say is, I hope it is not as bad as many have said it is.

Here is the review link... nothing in this review would leave you to believe it is anything but what it claims to be... a slow flying, stable EDF trainer.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/arti ... le_id=1004
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

steve

Re: My first EDF jet.

Unread post by steve » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 pm

I am sure it will fly fine Murray........

Not all reviews are based on the same criteria. What flies good for some people are pure "dogs" for others.

I have seen that model before but I cannot remember where.......?

Steve
Steve

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Well Steve, it did fly and it did not crash... as many have claimed it would/does on the first flight. But, having said that, the other negative comments are true. For instance, it is so heavy, the stock motor (brushed) could barely move it forward in a 5 km/h wind. Also, the plastic "scoop" that houses the ducted fan "grabs" the grass upon landing. If you are not coming in REAL low and slow than something is going to tear off. Fortunately, I was able to get her down safely with some help from Kevin ("down elevator Murray... that's it... a little more... good!") :D

So, I will reserve further criticism until I fly it in a no wind situation. Which is the recommended condition for proper flight in this EDF
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:18 pm

There are a HUGE amount of new designs being foisted onto the non-suspecting public as "COOL" but impractical designs.
Unfortunately many of these are produced by well-meaning gung-ho bunch of "self styled" designers with a lot less than little clue of what makes a realistic flyable design.
The first thing I noticed about this design was the "Dirt Scooping" lower EDF position of the motor. This is a disaster waiting to screw up the model.
Beware of falling into the trap of jumping on these designs until there is some positive feedback by personal contact or through the newsgroups.

Stick with the well proven manufacturers, such as Multiplex or Parkzone. You can be assured that these outfits have researched and vetted their designs before releasing them to the public.
John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 pm

You are right John. This was some what of an impulse buy... I could not justify traveling all that way, and coming home empty handed!!!! :lol: As if I need an excuse to purchase a new plane!

So far I have been very lucky with my purchases. Of the 15 or so planes I have bought, only a couple have been below par. But, I have learned quite a bit even from those ones just the same.

If I was given the choice to keep just one of them, it would be the SuperCub with its add-on floats. You can pretty much fly it anywhere, It is VERY cheap to repair or purchase new parts for, it has a good scale look, and it is a pure joy to fly. Maybe I should email this statement to HobbyZone... perhaps they'd send me a new free prop of something! :D
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:15 pm

I would like to add a bit of caution about brand names however. My second airplane was the Hobbyzone (a.k.a. Parkzone) Aerobird Swift. I bought this because the reviews said it was a good RTF "aileron trainer" and like Murray at the time I was more interested in flying then building. But this airplane was (and still is) a real dog. I was so frustrated trying to fly it that I almost gave up on the whole thing! Then I met Jack who let me fly his E-Starter and I started building ARFs after that and have never looked back :-)

Ok now true confessions... I just acquired the new brushless Parkzone P-51 with some assistance and encouragement from Murray and am really looking forward to it!

Warbird combat anyone?

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!