next plane

Discussions related to training models.
asif

next plane

Unread post by asif » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi guys,

Not that I'm there yet at all -- but if I was to start "thinking" about a second plane, what out of the following that I've browsed around for is appropriate?( I should be working right now but I was procrastinating by surfing links for other planes.....shame on me, eh?)

I really like the scale look - as much "scale" as possible.... I like the cub I have for that reason and am more than happy with it! I think the most likely one is the T-28 like Murray's === But what of the following would be/might be appropriate, if at all:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defau ... ID=EFL4000

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defau ... ID=EFL2575

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defau ... ID=EFL2650

or any other "close to scale" planes that would suit my "post-supercub" training.....

Thanks !! And -- no big rush at all ; this is just me "dreamin'"! I don't need an answer for weeks, yet.

Cheers

Asif
Asif Illyas
"A" Level HEFA Pilot

It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.

— Aesop, Fables, The Jay and the Peacock.'

AndrewS

Re: next plane

Unread post by AndrewS » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi Asif,

I don't know if I would recommend any of them as a second plane. Of the three, [and all are fairly big planes(4+ pounds)], I would lean toward the J3. It's the same aircraft type as the Cub but has ailerons. Jack has one on order so we can wait and see how it flies. The other two are low wingers with ailerons and all three are more powerful than the SC.

The T-28 is a good second plane from what I have seen at SP, and the guys that have them love them.

My suggestion would be something like the Multiplex Minimag, the GWS E-Starter, or do what I did and make a SC wing with ailerons. Moding the SC is easy and buying a second wing lets you go back if you mess up ;) .

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 pm

The balsa planes are, IMHO, the most beautiful and the heavier ones are MUCH less affected by wind. But, if you crash and tear the front section right off, you won't be able to fix it with CA and kicker... and be ready to fly in less then 15 seconds.

This is the T-28 in the newer paint scheme. This is PNP so "you" would need to buy a reciever (or use the one in your cub) and a couple of batteries. I use HobbyCity 3S, 2200 mAh, 20-30C that cost about $17.00 US.

http://www.rcwings.com/store/index.php? ... s_id=53850
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Forget everything I just said and get this instead. Oh, there is only one catch. I will be your "exclusive" instructor and I will have to make absolutely sure that the plane flies correctly. That should only take me about 2 or 3 months!!!! :lol:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Defaul ... ID=HAN4425

BTW, I'm just joking. This is a nitro trainer that weighs 7 lbs. But, it's sure is purdy. It is also very well priced when you consider what you get. Heck, I just might get it myself and take it to the Windsor field. What do ya think Jack????
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

asif

Unread post by asif » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Hey guys,

THanks for the replies and the advice -- I think I'm gonna go for the T-28 --- I reckon there's a whole lotta time to get more scale planes like those ones I was browsing around for and beyond later on!!!
I just can't decide whether to get the one with the blue color or not -- but I'm going to have fun with the supercub for a bit and decide....then order a T-28 and a smaller reciever , and battery, etc...
I can't wait to see Jack's Cub, then, in action -- it's a very nice looking bird!!!
Thanks again !!!

asif

p.s. - Murray -- that mustang sure looks nice --- looks FAAAAST! 8-)
Asif Illyas
"A" Level HEFA Pilot

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 am

I think that the T-28 is a great choice Asif.

I made a really bad mistake for my second airplane and it was discouraging. It was the Aerobird Swift which was supposed to be an "aileron trainer". In actual fact it was practically unflyable. Even when I set it aside for a year and went on to several others I couldn't fly it. It's the only airplane that I have thrown in the garbage as opposed to trying to recycle it somehow...

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

asif

Unread post by asif » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am

10-4, Rick!

Well - I was a "bad boy" and clicked on "confirm order" when trying to check on how much shipping the T-28 was gonna run.... ;) a lot of places were out of stock but Great hobbies in BC had 2 left so I, in a moment of weakness and excitement, - put about 1/2psi of finger pressure on the ever powerful left mouse button....!!!!

Soooooo........an airforce(blue) T-28 is on it's way......!!!!!!!!
Hahah !

I guess I'm well equipped for a while now, I reckon!!
Now I need a reciever and battery and I'm good to go -- I will get those once I get my "wings"...

I just wanted to inform anyone, in case, they didn't know, that this hobby was just a tad "addictive"....just in case anyone else didn't realise it.... :lol:
Here I was sayin I wasn't going to get a plane for a while!!! Oh well!!

Cheers all,

asif
Asif Illyas
"A" Level HEFA Pilot

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:24 am

I hope this is not the "story" you used, when explaining to your wife, that a new plane would be arriving soon. It's best to tell wifes the truth Asif......... NOT!!!!! :lol:

Actually... and truthfully :roll: ... that "finger pressure" thing happens to me quite often... darn near 28 times now. Maybe I need to get a new, less sensitive keyboard! ;)
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:45 am

..or amputate that finger..!

Ouch...not THAT finger..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:15 pm

I think there may be a virus spreading around by people who fly. I see/hear many people have chronic finger pressure problems ;) I know I suffer from it on occasions :o

Marc
Plane Crazey :D