Apprentice Design Modifications Thread

Discussions related to training models.
Dennis

Re: Apprentice Design Modifications Thread

Unread post by Dennis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:35 pm

JohnF wrote:
Dennis wrote:Tonight I am working on various acoustic circuits to detect prop noise and subsequently light up the cowling from inside. My goal is to minimize the overall weight of the circuit. High intensity white LEDs will eventually be attached to the firewall, and the circuit board, battery, and switch (possibly using Aux 2 on the receiver) will be installed in the cabin.
WHY?
The military version of this experimental airplane will be flown at night, and in the fog. I was the owner of the Nova Scotia-registered company Intrinsic Defence and Intelligence Enterprises. This is what I do. The light can be used for covert communications.
Physicist, musician, field naturalist.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Covert communications is one of my areas of expertise. Since the Apprentice is low cost (hence expendable), electric (acoustically stealthy), and mostly foam and plastic (radar stealthy), it is an ideal platform for reconnaissance, surveillance, security (border, critical infrastructure, military assets), and covert communications. Here is a link to one of my papers on the use of natural underwater sound for clandestine underwater communications.

http://acoustics.org/pressroom/httpdocs ... Jones.html
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Lots of lab equipment acquired since my last post. All needed for Apprentice mods and enhancements. Tektronics Type 453 Oscilloscope, Hewlett Packard 651B Test Oscillator, Westinghouse Portable DC Milliammeter, and Micronta Dynamic Transistor Checker. Also just arrived, two new servos EFLR7155 and EFLR7150. Ready for more circuit design and cabin cradle construction.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Over the past several weeks my research has been focused on calibrating the servos and investigating the acoustic signature of the motor (shaft and prop rates). Looking into anechoic materials to line the inside of the engine cowling.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:32 pm

JohnF wrote:When I was in the work force, the rule of thumb was fix only things that needed fixing or replacing. If it worked don't fix it! Simple. Why not get out of your lab and enjoy the R/C hobby like thousands of others do? The Apprentice is a great flying plane. I personally think that your are trying to re-invent the ball bearing.
It's not being fixed its being transformed into an entirely new air platform. It's not an Apprentice any more. As for enjoyment, I'm a physicist and my lab and field trials (outside) are what I love. If you'd rather I not post anymore, I can leave the group, no problem.
MAAC #92617