Does SIZE does really matter?

Discussions related to training models.
Canuck4ever

Does SIZE does really matter?

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:33 pm

From a guy who used to fly 40 size nitro planes, what is max wing span/eng size allowed at the airfield at Shannon Park.

I gather there must be some kind of MAAC or HEFA regulation/guidance that limits size of aircraft (I gather this is a Park Flyer Club). You probably don't want a 12 ft Telemastter there with a AXI Gold 5345/14 Outrunner. Just trying to get perspective of sizes. A got a few 40 size kits I'd eventually like to convert to electric but I don't know Shannon Park limitations.

PS: As a side note, Sat and Sun weather looks promising. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you :)
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

Dirt Torpedo

Re: Does SIZE does really matter?

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm

I expect you'll find what you want in the HEFA rules & regulations:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=208

Canuck4ever

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks for the assist - I was able to find it w your help. Apparently it's not necessarily a matter of size but rather weight!
Any plane over the weight of 3.5 pounds (56 ounces/1587 grams/1.5 kg), ready to fly, must be checked by an instructor or director prior to flying. If flown satisfactorily, it will not have to be rechecked again unless changes are made to it. A weight restriction of 6 pounds (96 ounces/2721 grams/2.7 kg) ready to fly, will be in effect at this field, for all models.
Tks again 8-)
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Marc,
HEFA is all electric..(as the name indicates) when flying at the Shannon field. We are not a Park Flyer Club, as this would restrict further the size and weight of models flown.
Our weight limit was set with the advice of the MAAC zone director.

We have flown a 6 pound, 63 inch w/s high wing model and have had success, as long as the transmission towers were kept an eye on.
Also a 102 inch w/s sailplane with carbon fiber fuselage has gone aloft from Shannon and soared gracefully for several minutes.

If and when a member reverts to the dark side....meaning they have a glow fuel or gas model to fly, they take it to one of the out of town fields such as the Avon Flyers in Windsor, or the ASRCM field in Milford. A larger, or heavier, or super fast, electric model, would also be flown elsewhere. Being MAAC members means that our HEFA members are welcome to fly at other MAAC Chartered Clubs.

Having an electric model flying club operating within the city limits, with a membership that has grown to 54, of which 48 members are active at present, and having accomplished this in roughly 19 months, is something we are proud of. It has come about largely due to the lack of noise coming from the models.

..hope to see you on the weekend,

Bill
HEFA secretary.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708