E-flite Apprentice...

Discussions related to training models.
Enforcer

E-flite Apprentice...

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:30 pm

As a newbie, I whole heartedly recommend the E-flite Apprentice if you are looking for a 4 channel trainer. Here is why I agree with RC GROUPS and RC UNIVERSE, who state in their respective reviews, that this is the "perfect trainer", "we can find no fault with this model"...

1) it is large enough to be seen at a distance
2) VERY forgiving (will right itself and flies very well at slow speeds)
3) can be flown in fairly high winds (10 - 15 MPH)
4) powerful 15 size motor and quality electrics (2.4 GHz Spectrum DX5e)
5) will glide forever
6) did I mention it's VERY forgiving? :lol:

Murray

retiredVTT

Re: E-flite Apprentice...

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Here is a link to the RCGroups thread on the above mentioned plane...The Apprentice from E-Flite.

It is definitely a winner, comes very complete with Spektrum radio, 3 cell lipo pack and Charger, ready to fly ..! (sugg $299.US)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... apprentice

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 pm

I just briefly saw Murray's Apprentice yesterday (though not in flight) and was very impressed.
Its area at 525 sq inches is the same as my Eyespy, and has a similar wing loading (10 to 12 oz/sq ft) varying with payload (FMA Copilot, Attopilot and Camera) .
The Eyespy will Thermal quite well and with an AXI 2808/24 will climb at 1250 ft per minute when needed.

The Apprentice as a high winged trainer type model should perform as a sedate beginners type model. Although a little bigger than the usual park flier, it will provide a bit more heavy wind capability, and stability. It is still light enough for gentle "non-threatening" performance.
Best of flying with it.
John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:14 am

picture from RCGroups..

Bill
Attachments
DSC02778-vi.jpg
DSC02778-vi.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 5614 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:14 am

Hi guys!

Last night, I upgraded the landing gear with bigger "3 in." tires . A HUGE thanks to Jack Davidson, who very graciously "gave" me several tires for the Apprentice and my Super Cub, along with several other items I can use. I used the tires from the Cub to upgrade one of my SkyFly 2 planes as well. I must say, they all look very aggressive with their new shoes. Can't wait to get them to the field and get your opinions.

Also, I purchased another plane yesterday from Don Menchions. It is a Hanger 9, Pulse XT-60. I will keep this one in the box for now... for obvious reasons! :lol: But, when I do get it flying, it will be powered with batteries, not glow! I hope to be able to share the maiden with all of you when the time comes. I realize that this plane's size may be a point of concern for you because of the flying area at SP being relatively small, so I "promise" to get permission from you. I WILL NOT fly it even once unless I get a unanimous vote to do so!

BTW, In case anyone is interested, I have my application filled out and the dues set aside. Please let me know whom to give it too. Oh, I already have my MAAC card for 2009.

Thanks!

Murray

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Whoa..big fellow..!

The Hanger 9, Pulse XT-60 is definitely no "trainer" Murray, but a very nice big aerobatic aircraft...that takes 6S lipo packs..!

RCGroups thread here..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... t=pulse+60

Specs:
Wingspan:70 in (1778mm)
Overall Length:57.3 in (1455mm)
Wing Area:885 sq in (57.10 sq dm)
Flying Weight:7–8 lb (3.18 kg–3.63 kg)
Engine Size:91–1.00 4-stroke, 60–.75 2-stroke
Motor Size:Power 60 BL Outrunner
Radio:4-channel with 5 servos (4 for electric option)

Bill
Attachments
HAN4130-GAL1.jpg
HAN4130-GAL1.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Bill!

This plane has actually been described as more of a "sport" plane. Not by the manufacturer, but by people who fly it. Is has been described by them as a "forgiving" second "sport category" plane, that can be used to do "adequate" aerobatics. Also, it has a noticeable dihedral which as you know makes any plane much more stable.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to gain the confidence needed to gage this for myself! Don't worry, I'm not curious enough to be stupid! :D But, I can look at it and wonder at least, as it sits on my basement floor all shiny and new... and purdy like! :lol:

BTW, it's not that big... relative to the GIANT size planes! Besides, the guy in the picture is only 4' 2"! ;) :D
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:30 pm

I thought you might like a look at my other trainer. I really love the look of this plane. I think it's beautiful!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Ah yes, that's a beauty...should fly well too.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Re: E-flite Apprentice motor...

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat May 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Many people have asked me what type of motor is in the Apprentice. I have been telling them the E-flite Power 15 (.15 glow equivalent). That is "not" correct. The Power 15 has a 940 Kv and cost $89.00 US. The BL 15 outrunner found in the Apprentice has an 840 Kv rating and cost 69.00 US.

Murray
Murray Wheten

Monty Python