2019 Porters Lake Ice Fly

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

2019 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by CF Av8or » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Fellow RC Flyers,

It is that time of the year again for the annual Porters Lake Ice Fly.

The event was unfortunately a no-go last year due to lack of suitable weather and/or ice conditions on a weekend day. I am hoping for better luck this year, particularly as this may well be the last for the event due the upcoming move to our new house.

So, as in past years, the date is not set in advance, but instead determined a few days prior, based on a forecast for good flying conditions (usable ice surface and moderate winds). The waiting period officially starts today, as the ice is currently plenty thick, thanks to the early and cold start to our winter this year.

For those who have not attended this event previously, it takes place at my East Lawrencetown home on the shore of Porters Lake, which provides a 15 mile long, 1 mile wide open flying field. Everything from small electrics to giant-scale gassers can be accommodated. A lunch (of chili, I believe) will be provided to all participants. Warm refuge is readily available inside the house should you need a break from the cold. Specific details will follow once a date for the event is determined.

Mary and I look forward to hosting you all again this year. Here's hoping for a little luck with the weather in the next few weekends!

Cheers,
Vic

retiredVTT

Re: 2019 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 am

Thanks for the advance notice Vic, it's always been a great event. (picture from 2016)

If you were to sell this location, the buyer must commit to enjoying RC...!
Attachments
Group_1xxx.jpg
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm

This post from Vic on the SW site (http://shearwaterflyers.proboards.com/t ... ke-ice-fly)
The ice is perfect right now except for one problem - there is a one to two foot wide strip of open water right along the shore due to the rain-water run-off.

If this strip freezes solid before Sunday, then we might have a chance this weekend, as the wind forecast is for light winds on Sunday.
Gonna be cold this weekend... The Weather Network is currently indicating (always subject to change) the following:
- Saturday morning: -10°C feels like -18°C winds 20 km/hr from the West
- Sunday morning: -11°C feels like -17°C winds 12 km/hr from the West

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Wow...BEWARE, all Brass Monkeys will have Frozen Balls ...if the temps forecast for this weekend are accurate..!

(I assume all the adults in the room, know the true connotation of the above statement..)
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm a little tarnished on that meaning.... can you school me papa VTT ;)
Plane Crazey :D

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Unfortunately, it does not look promising for this weekend. Saturday will be windy and very cold. Sunday is forecast to be a tiny bit warmer, though still quite cold and still rather windy. The worst of it is that the run-off from the heavy rain on Wednesday has eroded the ice along the shore. The result is about a two foot gap of only a thin crust of ice. This is unfortunate, as the ice just beyond the shoreline is very thick and beautifully smooth.

Based on this, I will say that the waiting period continues until next weekend. Hopefully, the really cold temps forecast for the next week will fix the shoreline ice and we'll be good to go.

Please stay tuned!

Vic

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 pm

yorcram wrote:I'm a little tarnished on that meaning.... can you school me papa VTT ;)
Sure thing Marc, however it will have to wait until our next field meeting..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Not looking good for this weekend again, unfortunately. Strong winds on Saturday, followed by a major winter storm on Sunday...sigh.

Here's hoping for the weekend after.

Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Skunked again for this weekend, folks!

The rain and mild temps have flooded the lake surface and created a strip of open water a foot or more wide right along the shore in front of my place. No chance it is going to freeze enough overnight. Too bad, as Saturday looks lovely with light wind, warm temps and sunshine.

Missed it by three days! This past Wednesday would have been ideal Ice Fly conditions - perfect ice, light winds and sunshine, which even with the cold temps felt really comfortable on the lake. Oh well, what can you do.

Maybe next weekend....

Vic

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 pm

Getting it right is a tricky job. Over the years we have had some wondrous days on the lake. I'm sure over the next couple of weeks we'll get it right.
Need to maiden my new 4 metre Pulsar (25% bigger than my old reliable 3.2m Pulsar) and Porter's Lake would be the ideal place to do it.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26