BBQ 4 - September 22

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

BBQ 4 - September 22

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm

We will have some guests at SP next weekend from the Nova Scotia Flight Sim group. This allows for an excellent partnership due to our combined interest in flight. As some of you might know, Andrew S and Andrew C are are members of this group and have spoken our accolades. We will be conducting some introductory flights for probably 8-10 people.

This is a great opportunity to have another celebration - a BBQ. We have been trying to have one per month and this will be our fourth for the season.

Hope to see you there!!!! Rain date is September 23....!

Brian
Attachments
2018_09_22_landscape.jpg

bdg

Re: BBQ 4 - September 22

Unread post by bdg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:16 pm

The weather forecast for Saturday is looking like a "no-go" for anyone. High winds.

This from Environment Canada:
  • 4:16 PM ADT Thursday 20 September 2018
    Special weather statement in effect for:

Halifax Metro and Halifax County West
    Windy and rainy start to the weekend to usher in the fall season...

An intense fall storm will cross central Quebec into Labrador on Saturday bringing rain and strong southerly winds to Nova Scotia beginning overnight Friday into Saturday morning. At this time winds are expected to remain below warning criteria but gusts may reach 80 kilometres per hour, especially along the Atlantic coast.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts as warnings may be required.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to NSstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #NSStorm.

We'll make the "call" tomorrow - but again, at this time, Sunday is definitely looking like the better day.

Brian
Attachments
Capture.JPG

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Well - the forecast hasn't changed from yesterday. Tomorrow is looking windy but Sunday is looking great! Light winds and temperatures starting near 13°C and warming up. Let's do it Sunday instead...! Hope to see you there.

Also - as a reminder - several folks (upwards of 10 people) from Flight Sim Nova Scotia will be at SP on Sunday to learn more about this great hobby!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Wow! Wow! Wow!

What a day! I would suggest that we had upwards of 35-40 people at SP today to enjoy the great weather, hobby, and (of course) the BBQ. Great turn-out!!! Lots of great flying with a waiting line to maintain our maximum of 5 plane aloft at a time.

Nice to see newcomer Bob at the field today. I had him up for an introductory flight. He is a pilot so the controls were coming easily. Hope to see him back!

Also - a father/son team were at SP with their Revolution (smaller version of Skysurfer / Bixler) from Horizon Hobby. We took the plane for a flight and trimmed it out. Next, Harry (12 yrs old!) joined me for two flights on the club Apprentice. He was doing well.... and was trying to follow my demonstration into the weeds :) I hope to see them back again to continue to benefit from the hobby and from our club comradery!! MAAC is required and this is at a bottom line great price for a Junior flyer.

Also - another father / son team were from the flight simulator group. They were short on time, but we were able to get the father up for one flight. He, too, is an actual pilot and recognized the benefits of small stick movements and the differences of aileron controls when the plane is coming towards you. Great!

It was nice to also see some distinguished guests at the field. Al E was present with his new camera and I can't wait to see some of the shots. Nice to see John J at the field, Andrew C and Karl P back as well!!!

Some fantastic flying between Steve W and Rick M as they were playing with streamers in a majestic pattern... all that we needed was some music!!!

Thanks to everyone for coming out. A special thanks (once again) to Bob S for cooking the hamburgers and hot dogs. This is greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome fall - some of the best flying is still at our fingertips!!!!

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:42 pm

This group is the finest. The club delivers ten times the cost of joining back to the members. Lots of variety, lots of flying, lots of joking around and lots of respect for fellow fliers. The easy going atmosphere and the welcoming and nurturing of potential members is a wonderful introduction to a wonderful hobby.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Probably should have posted here, but I started a new thread with photos from today under the general news and notes section. There will be more when I get time to go through them.

karlpenney

Unread post by karlpenney » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm

It was nice to be back out again on such a great day! It's been a few years since I last flew there. Hope to see everyone again soon.