Canada Day - 2018 - WE ARE A GO!!!

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

Canada Day - 2018 - WE ARE A GO!!!

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 20, 2018 12:18 pm

We have been approached by HRM regarding possible support for the upcoming Canada Day festivities. There is going to be an aviation theme of sorts for the Canada Day events and they are reaching out to like-minded groups in the community to support this endeavor. This will supplement the Hot Air Balloon and Skyhawk skydiving show, among other festivities.

Details are still being worked out, but almost certainly this would be a static display, similar to the Shearwater Hobby Show. I would anticipate that there would be a fair number of people walking by with children and that it would be busy. HRM would be able to provide tables and a tent/cover, most likely 10'x10', and we would be able to discuss HEFA, MAAC, RC Flying, safety, etc. with the public who stop or have an interest in our hobby. This is a great opportunity to get our club name - and the safety requirements that we live by - in the public eye.

There would be other groups participating as well in the event.

There was some very preliminary discussions regarding a demo flight but I believe that would be too challenging - extending MAAC coverage, planning the flying area and keeping back the public, etc. An indoor flyer would be among the most suitable (or perhaps something like the UMX Timber at ~121g) but again - I just don't see it happening.

The event is taking place on the Halifax Common, somewhere near the Oval. It is taking place from 12pm-4pm and of course there would be personal transportation and set-up time required.

The only way that I could reasonably foresee this working would be for several members to participate. There could easily be multiple people from the public with interest at the same time and several members staffing the booth would be a must. There could be shifts of, say, 2 hrs, but realistically I could also anticipate that members would be there for the 4 hr duration.

Of course, this is happening on the long weekend... one of the few in the summer and many people could certainly be away.

So - ultimately - are members able to support this initiative? I recognize that it can be difficult to commit at this early date, so all that I am looking for now is an indication of your potential support to participate. If we have enough people who feel that they would be able to support this event, then even a few members who get involved with other activities should still allow us to participate. Please either respond to this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Brian
Last edited by bdg on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdg

Re: Canada Day - 2018 - Potential Display...

Unread post by bdg » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 pm

A quick update based upon some additional discussions.

First, HRM is considering the use of one ball diamond to support the aviation theme. While details are still being worked through, this ball field would be used for the skydivers, and then the RC plane display (us) and then for drone and glider use. I am not sure which other clubs would be participating in these activities (drone and glider) and what parameters would be considered for an active flight.

I have had preliminary discussions with Cato, our MAAC ZD, and the initial feeling is that we can make this happen, assuming that we are operating within the rules of the MAAC Safety Code.

So - if an actual flying demo were possible - would that interest members? HRM is considering a 1 hour time slot for our activity. I am thinking that we would need 2 people at the flight line (one active, one on deck) as well as maybe 2 spotters, and maybe 2-3 people at the static display (location TBD). The only way that I could possibly see this working would be for smaller planes. I know that this is heavily dependent on the weather that day, but perhaps a smaller UMX Timber, Stuntmaster, Twisted Hobby, or similar type plane might be feasible. An Apprentice or even a FunCub could cover the area of the ball diamond very quickly and (to me) would not be as suitable.

Ultimately, we need to operate with safety in the forefront. We would not want there to be any issues. We would need to fly low and slow well within the confines of the field. You will notice that there are walking trails on the perimeter as well - so again staying well inside of these would be necessary.

If there is no interest from HEFA members, then we can also consider opening this up to other clubs with similar considerations, under the MAAC Safety Code. I believe that there is a funfly in Truro (MAST) that same weekend and that could be another conflict to consider.

One iteration of the event map is included below.

Folks - let me know your thoughts?

Brian
Attachments
Family Fun Fest - May 20.jpg

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Count me in Brian. I'm happy to participate in any or all of the categories.

Well except maybe for the glider flying which I hope that John O and Andrew S are going to take care of :-)
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks Rick!!! That is great. Now we need a few more interested parties...!

An interesting opportunity, for sure.

One point - I am understanding that the drone and glider displays (static and demos) would be by others. Our time is limited to the 1-2pm window for any demo flights.

Such events remind me of my childhood... I remember watching similar displays when I was maybe 12-14 yrs old and they've left an indelible memory. Time to pass the torch!

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri May 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Count me in Brian.
It looks like the flying area we have is about 100 metres across which makes it suitable for slow flying models only. For my part, my 2M Mayfly and 1 meter MIniMayfly should fit the bill. winds would have to be very light.
Is there space for static displays of larger models? If so I could provide some.
what kinds of crowds are expected?
I had some thoughts of assembling some 12" free flight gliders but can't do them myself. About 3 years ago I built 22 models and Vic, Richard, Kevin and Al Eastman had a great time at porters lake gym during spring break. would this be of interest?
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm

I can help out too Brian.
I can bring the HEFA Radian. We can show the difference between a hand made balsa model and a foam Arf...both the Radian and John's Mayfly are 2m.
If I remember to fix it I'll also bring my small Champ.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 pm

This is starting to come together! Thanks, guys, for your thoughts on this event!!! Now we just need maybe a few more people to help.......

Brian

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 pm

Count me in. I have club dues if anyone is flying this weekend
what do you mean low rates and expo???

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Trevor - That's great!

John - I am seeing the distance at roughly 95me or so. As a comparison, the length of the SP field is closer to 65me (before the expansion). So roughly 50% longer flying area. Very suitable for a smaller plane, as long as the winds are light. Time will tell on that one...!

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 pm

I did some measurements on Shannon 275 m from school to the road to the south, 250 m from pits to railway - bigger than the commons site.
Small models for sure but we can cope.

My 12" Sparrow model would be great for handouts. Andrew Smith has offered to CNC cut and he and I can handle the construction.
The following is the PDF plan from Outerzone, and I have redrawn it in CAD for CNC cutting.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3756

For 24 Models we would require 8 sheets 3x36" of 1/16 balsa, Tailplanes 2 sheets 4x36" of 1/16 balsa. Rudder 1 sheet 3x36" balsa and for Fuselage 1 sheet 3/16 x 36" hard balsa. Plus glue.
On our previous venture John Hatt of Maritime Hobbies donated the balsa. Maybe we can approach him again.
This model will have a hook on the nose end which we can use for Catapult Launches ( Rubber band on a Popsicle stick)
Don't know if 24 models will be enough, but it will at least get some Kids started on the model airplane addiction.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26