Hobbyking USA "Free Shipping" - NOT!!!

News related to anything RC
bdg

Hobbyking USA "Free Shipping" - NOT!!!

Unread post by bdg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:16 pm

So, way back on March 10, I ordered a few new LiPos, a reversing 40A ESC, some servos, and a battery tester/USB power supply. My first time ordering from the HK US site as compared to the international site. Total order cost $89.25 US which equated to $117.98 after conversion and credit card processing fees. I also emailed FedEx to link the tracking number to my account to avoid the advancement fees. The delivery was sent by ground and took close to two weeks to arrive from the US West coast.

Well - today I received the invoice by mail. 6 weeks later. Total fees of $58.02. Talk about TAX! Far too disproportionate for the cost of the components.

Breakdown as follows:
- Advancement Fee = $10.00
- Clearance Entry Fee = $25.50
- Taxes on fees = $5.33
- HST = $17.19
- Total = $58.02

I was expecting / okay with the HST of $17.19 but the others were not anticipated. So what do I do? I call FedEx (possibly in a bit of a "huff!"). At first there is nothing that they can do... then they agree to remove the advancement fee... and then finally also the clearance entry fee. So now I am only paying the HST which I am fine with.

Their comment was that the vendor (HK) shipped the cheapest way possible and were not including any other fees. I believe that this is stated through the ordering process that it is the customer's responsibility to pay any additional border fees... but this is high on such a small order. Their comment was that the clearance fees are buried in the costs for air shipment and therefore do not appear to the end customer. They recommended shipping air next time to avoid such surprises.

This all reminds me of ordering a $200 daggerboard for a sailboat from the US via UPS - and paying $90 in fees on top of shipping costs - that was just to cross the border. I have never used UPS again and will not in the future either.

So ---- buyer beware. I guess that I am "lucky" that they removed the other fees.... and I won't be ordering from HK USA again without some type of reassurance.

Has anyone else encountered such issues????

Brian

paulhughes

Re: Hobbyking USA "Free Shipping" - NOT!!!

Unread post by paulhughes » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi, Brian i to had the same issue of ordering parts from HK.There shipping is terribly.I only wish that we could have more ordering of parts here in Canada.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Free shipping, a deal too good to be true I guess. Definitely need a Canadian warehouse.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 am

In the last five months, I have placed four orders through the international warehouse that have qualified for free shipping (over $150 USD). These included some items (such as my Tundra, new 400W charger, several LiPos, and a new transmitter) that would have been costly if I had to pay full price for shipping. I can only recall one order where I had to pay customs fees. About the US warehouse that's good to know. I will keep that in mind that you are more likely to get hit with customs fees.

Jeff
MAAC 85077
Tarot 450 Pro V2, H-King Voltigeur, E-Flite Ultimate 2, BAe Hawk EDF, H-King Wargo MX2, E-Flite Timber X, E-Flite UMX Timber X, E-Flite UMX A-10, Eachine E160, Eachine E180, YX F180 V2, MJX Bugs 3
Transmitter: RadioMaster TX16S

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 am

Jeff,

Yeah... I've certainly had better "success" with the international warehouse. I don't think that I have ever paid any additional fees for normal air shipping from any of countless orders over the years. As shipping methods for LiPos have changed to FedEx, I have paid the Advancement Fees and HST. The advancement fees can be negated by having a FedEx account and letting them know in advance that it is yours (email with the tracking number and account number).

But this was my first time from the HK USA website. As I had mentioned above, delivery was (comparatively speaking) long and then the fees are high. It is possible that the $25.50 is a flat rate and, on an order of $4000, that would be insignificant. But on a smaller order it does represent a high percentage of the overall cost.

Just sharing so that others can be aware. I have heard of some people being invoiced and then never paying. I don't think that FedEx will send out a collections agency but my preference is to communicate with the company directly.

I believe that others have ordered from the HK USA website. Hopefully they will not be receiving similar invoices.... :(

Brian

paulhughes

Unread post by paulhughes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Well i order my parts on March 31 got them today.Very happy

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:49 pm

That’s great Paul!!! Roughly 3 weeks...! Sounds like normal air from the international store? Any new toys or restocking your consumables???

Brian

paulhughes

Unread post by paulhughes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:01 pm

mostly restocking.i too was surprise how fast it came.

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:39 pm

My order came to $55.13 CDN. Shipping and fees on the free shipping order $47.37. Never again. I have written and complained to HK several times. My last order for LiPos was placed with Great Hobbies. The batteries ended up being cheaper from Great Hobbies than from HK.

Lesson learned. If coming from the US, a waste of time dealing with HK. Order from the International or nothing. I have had good success with BangGood.com and AliExpress.com for bulk items.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Jim,

Another “horror” story... thanks for sharing. What was the response from HK? I was really hopeful that the US warehouse would be a great thing... not quite working out that way yet!

Brian