Shearwater Hobby Show - April 7-8, 2018

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

Shearwater Hobby Show - April 7-8, 2018

Unread post by bdg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Mark you calendars! The Shearwater Hobby Show is scheduled for April 7-8, 2018, at the Sea King Club (242 Warrior Avenue) at Shearwater. This is running from 10am - 4pm each of these two days.

HEFA participation in this event was discussed at the AGM and the consensus was that HEFA members would like to support this event. We are lucky to share the workload, camaraderie and enthusiasm of this great hobby with our friends at the Shearwater RC Flyers. We will be sharing a table to present our models. You will note, too, that several of our HEFA members are also members at Shearwater.

This is a great opportunity to support the museum, to get to better know members (both of SW and of HEFA) and to potentially entice new members to the hobby in a safe and rewarding manner. Bring along a few models and your enthusiasm of the hobby!

Please let us know if you are interested in participating. Let us know your availability and we will revise this posting with potential people / times to help staff the booth. Ideally, a 2 hour slot would be preferred but any amount of time would be incredibly appreciated. Many hands make light work.

** Recent updates from John F and John O'S - thanks for your offers! I've penciled you in!

** Recent updates from Andrew S - thanks, too, for your offer! I've penciled you in!

** Thanks, Richard, for your offer to co-manage the SW and HEFA tables!

Saturday
  • 10am - 11am: John O’S; Andrew S
    11am - 12pm: John O'S; Andrew S
    12pm - 1pm: John O'S; Andrew S
    1pm - 2pm: John O'S; Andrew S; Brian G
    2pm - 3pm: John O'S; Andrew S; Brian G
    3pm - 4pm: John O'S; Andrew S; Brian G
Sunday
  • 10am - 11am: John O'S; Andrew S
    11am - 12pm: John O'S; Andrew S
    12pm - 1pm: John O'S; Andrew S
    1pm - 2pm: John O'S; Andrew S
    2pm - 3pm: - John O'S; Andrew S; John F (in combination with SW)
    3pm - 4pm: - John O'S; Andrew S; John F (in combination with SW)
There is also a plastic model contest. See the attachment for details.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
SAM Annual Spring Hobby Show 2018 Model contest information and rules.pdf
(323.33 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by bdg on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

AndrewS

Re: Shearwater Hobby Show - April 7-8, 2018

Unread post by AndrewS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 am

I should be able to do Sat. I'll let you know later if Sun is ok as well.
Do we know how much space we will have? I can bring a 2m glider and histart and my small Dromida quad.
We should have some flyers ( the paper kind :lol: ) on hand and maybe even some MAAC and HEFA applications in case people want to join or renew.
Last edited by AndrewS on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm

We are just over a month away and involvement from our membership is not very high just yet. I wanted to "bump" this to the top of the topic list to determine if there might be others interested / available to participate in this event. You might remember that there was a good level of support at the AGM in the fall from our members in attendance.

Let me know if you can support this event and I will pencil you in to the schedule!

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I'll be there most of the time on both days
John O'S
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks, John!!!

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:26 am

Hey Brian
I should be good for Sunday as well.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Each year we get promises in advance of model contributions to the Shearwater Show, but when it turns up we are left with a bare minimum of models.
There is a broad range of lovely, even fantastic models turned out every year by HEFA fliers which would be of high interest to those attending the show and would definitely attract new members.

The lack of models is inexcusable, as there are many, many beautiful models around and the owners do not necessarily have to attend, There has never been an issue with security.

Pick out your favourite model and bring it (or get your buddy to bring it) to the show. This is the one event that we have to display our skills to the public in the year. Show your pride in HEFA and it will make HEFA the place to be for new fliers. And in addition we have some decent assurance of Shannon Park usage for some time to come.

In the past few years, there has been such a miserable model contribution of models that I have had to reluctantly supplement it with as many as seven of my own models to fill the spaces. Seven electric and pure sailplanes is NOT a representative representation of HEFA.

A good single page Brochure depicting the benefits of HEFA membership is an essential requirements with a special emphasis on new membership encouragement and training. My skills on this end of things are past their best buy date, but I know that there are those amongst us who have the skills. So get at it! HEFA handouts in more recent years have lacked sparkle.Also we need a good supply of HEFA Cards.
Let's Go for it!!
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

richard

Unread post by richard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:00 pm

I can participate also.
MAAC #23130 HEFA #94 SHEARWATER RC FLYERS Spektrum DX7S

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks John and Richard!

John - I fully agree about the handouts. This was also suggested at the AGM. My recommendation is that we modify the poster for MSC and print these in 8.5” x 12” letter format. We also have business cards for distribution. Colour prints are roughly $0.39 each through Staples. How many do you think that we need ? 50? 100?

You are also right about the models. We do have lots of options but need continued interest from members to make this happen!

Brian

JohnF

Unread post by JohnF » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 am

I agree with John O’Sullivan’s idea about other models. I think that display of one model that has experienced a bad flight/s but was repaired and put back in service. I have such a plane that has crashed several times and shows the repairs on it. This sort of thing would show spectators that things happen but we accept the challenge of model flying and continue on.