2018 Porters Lake Ice Fly

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

2018 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:13 pm

The 2018 Porters Lake Ice Fly is on hold.

This Saturday, 3 February is the official start date of the event waiting period, but I have decided to postpone the Ice Fly in order to wait for a more favourable weekend.

Although the ice is good and thick, the current forecast for Saturday calls for very cold and very windy conditions (low of -13 C and a high of only -9 C, with the marine forecast calling for 25 knot winds throughout the day). Sunday looks no better with periods of snow and rain, and equally windy conditions at the shore.

As in previous years, I have always waited for that ideal day when we can enjoy a full day of winter ice-flying (ie. not braving below -20 C wind-chills just to fly for only 15 minutes before calling it a day), so I intend to do the same this year.

Please stay posted to this forum for updates as next weekend approaches.

Thanks,
Vic

JohnOSullivan

Re: 2018 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks Vic:
This event has been a real winter Celebration over the years. It is not easy to put a definite date on it due to variable weather, but you always come through in style. Thanks once again to you and Mary for your efforts in hosting this event.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:57 pm

The Ice Fly continues to be delayed, folks.

The weather is not looking to be great this weekend - snow and rain showers Saturday with gusty winds and rain on Sunday. Too bad, because the ice surface is perfect now, with just a light dusting of snow to allow good traction and a good surface for skis, floats or wheels. Also, the sunshine and relatively light winds would have made for nice flying conditions today.

Mary and I have been very busy with the house construction lately and Mary wouldn't have had the time to get the food ready for a gathering tomorrow anyway. Oh well, here's hoping for next weekend...

Thanks,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:10 pm

I'm looking at the conditions for this coming weekend, Sat 17 and Sun 18 Feb. So far, not promising, due mostly to winds.

The forecasts I am looking at seem to, so far, indicate strong winds both days, with very cold wind-chills in the early part of Saturday, especially.

I would like to hold off until tomorrow for the final call on Saturday, and a for better picture for Sunday, but as I say, not looking promising.

Please stands by for further.

Thanks,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:52 pm

The Porters Lake Ice Fly is postponed again this weekend due to weather. The wind will be the main detractor this weekend, in addition to cold temps on Saturday and snow on Sunday.

What can I say, there have been some perfect week days over the past month, but the weekends have not come through for us. Let's hope for something soon...

Thanks,
Vic

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:12 pm

How is the ice, Vic? I am seeing LOTS of open ice here in the city - some are fully open while others are open maybe 10' along the edges.... a solid cold snap would remedy that situation but I am not seeing that over the next 2 weeks (but we all know that weather can and will change!).

We're all very hopeful!!!

Brian

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Yes, that was a disappointing thing to see when I got up this morning - the bay in front of my house was still fully ice covered, but the rest of Porters Lake was open water. By the end of the day, some open water had developed at the south end of the bay as well.

As you say, Brian, a cold snap would fix things up, if it happens. We'll have to wait and see.

Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Holiday Monday would have been a perfect day for the Porters Lake Ice Fly (calm winds and nice temperatures) - except for one small detail - the ice took a beating on Saturday and was therefore unsuitable for the event on Monday.

This unfortunately does not bode well for future chances at running the event this winter, but again - this is Nova Scotia - so you never know....

I'll update if the ice situation improves.

Vic

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Too bad if we have to miss the Porter's Lake Winter fly-in. However, given the fun we've had at Shearwater Gym, we are well ahead of the game.
Many thanks Vic for making this available to us.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26