Beat the rain

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
the-mailman

Beat the rain

Unread post by the-mailman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Arrived at the field just before 8 this morning and started flying. No one else there at first, but Tyrone showed up to watch and chat. Then Bob dropped by and then Chris, but by then it was starting to rain so no more flying could be done. Tomorrow doesn't look good either. Have to wait for the weather to change. Never thought I'd be flying outside so late in the year.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Re: Beat the rain

Unread post by bdg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm

What a bunch of keeners!!!! I had hoped to venture out - light winds and "decent" temperatures - but the sprinkles outside of my window kept me away. It is great that you were able to get in a few flights. Winter flying can be a great time with the right conditions and with the right plane / skiis or floats. Touch and goes are incredible and it is nice to see the paths in the snow!!

Brian

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm

bdg wrote: Winter flying can be a great time with the right conditions and with the right plane / skiis or floats.
Also a great time to stay inside and take advantage of the free shipping offers available right now...a new plane and charger on the way... :D

Jeff
MAAC 85077
Tarot 450 Pro V2, H-King Voltigeur, E-Flite Ultimate 2, BAe Hawk EDF, H-King Wargo MX2, E-Flite Timber X, E-Flite UMX Timber X, E-Flite UMX A-10, Eachine E160, Eachine E180, YX F180 V2, MJX Bugs 3
Transmitter: RadioMaster TX16S

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 am

That sounds like a good option too..... Jeff - what did you buy? From HK? I didn't seem to find free shipping on planes....?

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 am

Brian the Hobby King web site says free shipping from all warehouses throughout December, but I think this applies to only certain items and with certain conditions. I did manage to grab a Blue and Red Durafly Tundra and a SKYRC Ultimate Duo 400W charger. With the SkyRC charger I got free FedEx shipping, although I placed that order one week ago and it still hasn't shipped yet. I guess they must be busy.

Jeff
MAAC 85077
Tarot 450 Pro V2, H-King Voltigeur, E-Flite Ultimate 2, BAe Hawk EDF, H-King Wargo MX2, E-Flite Timber X, E-Flite UMX Timber X, E-Flite UMX A-10, Eachine E160, Eachine E180, YX F180 V2, MJX Bugs 3

waxman

Unread post by waxman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 am

Jeff, did you get free shipping on the Tundra? Ive had my eye on that since its release but shipping almost doubles the price.
wildblue30 wrote:Brian the Hobby King web site says free shipping from all warehouses throughout December, but I think this applies to only certain items and with certain conditions. I did manage to grab a Blue and Red Durafly Tundra and a SKYRC Ultimate Duo 400W charger. With the SkyRC charger I got free FedEx shipping, although I placed that order one week ago and it still hasn't shipped yet. I guess they must be busy.

Jeff
John Liddard

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:22 pm

I've been Tundra-struck!

I just picked up my Blue and Red DF Tundra from the post office. John, I placed the order on November 25th so I think it fell under the Black Friday promotion they were having. I had to pay a $29 Cdn customs charge at pickup, but still a pretty good deal as I ordered many other small parts as well.

And here it is. Everything seems to be in pristine condition.

Jeff
Attachments
Tundra_Unbox.jpg
MAAC 85077

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Great!! This appears to still be available through free shipping.

Lots of members have the Fun Cub and the Tundra is a direct competitor for this plane. I am not sure which is better. The reversing ESC (on the anniversary edition) and the included floats are a nice feature, though, for sure.

I have the FunCub but it is still NIB. I also have a set of floats for it - tough to find! But I sometimes think that the Tundra (or the Timber!) might be a better fit for me!

Brian

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Brian,

That's nice to hear about the free shipping being still available. Hopefully John L. reads your comment.

I finished the assembly earlier this evening. No gluing required at all. The motor reversing feature is interesting. I hooked it up to my GEAR channel. The Tundra uses PCB connectors for the wing servo connections (flaps/ailerons). I found these to be troublesome and ended up pulling them out and using two standard Y-splitter cables, as others on the RCG forum have done.

I bought this model because my Parkzone Sport Cub is getting a bit worn down. I hope my equally worn out 3S 2200 batteries can withstand the heavier all up weight of the Tundra.

Jeff
MAAC 85077

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Did you get this out yet, Jeff? Happy with the plane?

Is it a good combination of stability and advanced maneuverability?

Brian