Interested in learning to fly

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
jefft

Interested in learning to fly

Unread post by jefft » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Good afternoon,

I have recently purchased an Apprentice 15S, after spending a lot of hours on a simulator, I would like to inquire about learning to fly via an instructor. I met Jeff at the field this afternoon and he recommended I leave a message.

Look forward to coordinating a visit.

regards,

Jeff.

bdg

Re: Interested in learning to fly

Unread post by bdg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Welcome to an AMAZING hobby. The Apprentice is a fantastic plane that will carry with you from beginner to advanced.

Our club is based on MAAC fundamentals and we are able to offer an introductory flight on our club trainer - also an Apprentice - through a buddy box system. This will give you a flavour of the hobby ... but it sounds like you are already set!

We are normally at Shannon Park on the weekends (mornings) from roughly 8-12. Training is best when winds are light. Let us know in advance if you might be coming and we'll be sure to have the trainer with us. The intent of the training is to introduce you to the hobby in a supportive and fun way, with the least amount of frustrations. Ultimately, you will be soloing and that really opens the door to the fun!

MAAC is a requirement for any of the local clubs and is very much in the news with the latest Transport Canada rules - in the best way possible. MAAC act with Transport Canada to support the hobby and also provide us with insurance. Membership is very reasonable for the rest of the year at $92 or so, taxes in. Membership in HEFA is the best bang for your buck at $50 for the rest of the year.

Which sim do you use?

All the best,

Brian

jefft

Unread post by jefft » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Brian, I will definitely be there around 8! I have the phoenix simulator version 5.5.

Look forward to meeting and joining the club.

regards,

Jeff.

jefft

Unread post by jefft » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Good afternoon Brian,

Had an absolutely wonderful experience earlier this morning. Met a great group of enthusiasts who did an amazing job promoting the hobby, certainly seems addictive. Look forward to flying via the buddy system again, I had forgotten that I'll be out of town for the next couple of weekends, so I'll see you again in a few weeks.

thanks again for the opportunity, was great flying this morning.

regards,

Jeff.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Jeff,

You did amazingly well this morning. Nice to meet you. The simulator time really shows as it is rare to be landing on the first training / introductory session!!

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Brian

jefft

Unread post by jefft » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Good day Brian,

Recently returned from vacation and hoping to get another lesson. Will you be available tomorrow morning weather permiting?

Let me know.

thanks,

Jeff.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Sounds like a plan! I will bring along the Apprentice and training equipment. Winds are forecast to be better tomorrow!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Another two great flights, Jeff! Your approach on landings is good and you demonstrated some great touchdowns! The crosswind can be a challenge and the rudder will help, for sure.

Also - two great flights with Bruce on his SuperCub. Nice and slow and Bruce handled it well.

Hopefully Friday will be favourable.... I am currently scheduled to work on Saturday but will hopefully take Monday off to make up for it :-).

Brian