President@MAAC.ca
+1 418 564-5225
www.MAAC.ca

March 16, 2017
Burlington, ON

For Immediate Release

Transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

MAAC Members and Clubs See Exemptions

Transport Canada’s announcement of interim regulations for drone use will impact model aviation enthusiasts across the country that are flying any model aircraft between 250g and 35kg. The regulations place restrictions on how high model aircraft can be flown, and minimum distances from people and buildings when flying that will severely limit how and where people can enjoy the hobby. The announcement states that not only must recreational users put their contact information on drones, but also that they may not fly higher than 90 metres, within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome.

However, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events. The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country.

The Transport Canada Advisory group of MAAC and the Board of Directors on behalf of The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada acknowledges Transport Canada's safety concerns and is appreciative for the clear recognition of the long history of safe operations by our membership. One of MAAC’s primary goals is keeping our members informed and educated on how to enjoy the hobby while keeping safety in the forefront, and that effort has paid off with this exemption.

One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs.

The interim regulations also call for active enforcement by local police forces, which may create issues for some members and clubs. MAAC recommends clubs contact their local authorities and ensure they are aware of the club’s existence, MAAC affiliation, and the Transport Canada exemption.

About The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC):
MAAC is Canada’s internationally and federally recognized model aviation sanctioning body. Additionally, MAAC is a sitting member of Canadian Aviation Regulatory Advisory Council (CARAC), holds corporate membership with Unmanned Systems Canada (USC) and is a voting member of the FAI and the Aero Club of Canada.

For over 65 years the association has provided leadership, safety guidelines, and liability insurance to individual members, clubs, and field owners. MAAC serves over 11,500 members and more than 350 clubs across Canada. MAAC members are active in all disciplines of model aviation from free-flight models through radio controlled turbine powered models, including multi-rotor aircraft RC boating and rocketry.

For more information contact your zone director, the MAAC Office (maac.ca) or
Rodger Williams, President
President@MAAC.ca +1 418 564-5225
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

rhyneheimer

Re: New regs from Transport Canada

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 pm

more rules, yay, i was feeling so under-regulated.
here's the trail of Transport Canada links for deciphering who can fly what and when and where -

Drone Safety -
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... afety.html

Flying your drone safely and legally -
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... gally.html

Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft -
Date modified: 2017-03-15 -
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/inter ... craft.html

**edit --
the usual regulation page TC Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-002 - General Safety Practices - Model Aircraft and Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems is down, either being edited, replaced or relocated -
http://www.maac.ca/en/transport_canada.php
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/o ... -2135.html
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm

looking at one of the maps, it shows our airfield at Porters lake as the centre of a restricted zone
also shows the heliport at the VG as an airport which restricts Shannon Park.
These are non-controlled airfields, used only occasionally.
we need clarification as to their status.
As for not flying over animals, do we need to check for rabbits, squirrels, mice, and Birds?

What a stupid hamfisted pile of garbage.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Maac members at a Maac club field are exempt from the new regs .
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 pm

And Porters Lake airfield is a MAAC-sanctioned field.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 pm

..to all members,

...however, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events. The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country.

..thank you MAAC,

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:48 pm

I don't disagree that drones needed better regulations for those that don't follow MAAC flying policies, but this will really limit flying anywhere except sanctioned sites. It will put a halt to any flying from school fields and ball fields for park fliers. Hopefully it will still be OK to fly when you have the property owners permission? I'm working on building a sea plane and would like to fly it at my brothers cottage. I guess as long as I'm 75m away from any structure it should be OK. I wonder if it will result in an increase in club membership?
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

LordGarak

Unread post by LordGarak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:12 am

The new regulations really put a damper on flying anywhere that isn't MAAC sanctioned. Pretty much everywhere there is civilisation there are aerodromes and a 9km radius is a huge area.

Time to start working on some 249g planes.

Has anyone looked into making the Lawrencetown beach slopes' a MAAC sanctioned site?

MAAC may have to make some alternative rules that allow alternative site configurations for slope soaring sites.

I'm guessing land ownership is also an issue at Lawerencetown?

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 am

I can see this being a bit confusing because of the term "drone". Most people think of "drones" as multirotor models. (not including RC helicopters). Do these new rules also apply to fixed-wing models, including sailplanes? Hidden away in all this new information is the "Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that this new drone law is basically the same as the above "order"and, therefore, does apply to all RC models, except for the very lightest of any models weighing under 250 grams (0.551156 lbs or 8.81849 ounces). Because of how Transport Canada and the media are promoting this new law, without any mention of fixed wing models, I can see that many RC pilots flying fix wing might find themselves unexpectedly in trouble, if they're thinking they are excluded.

AC
Andrew C.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

Ghost Flyer wrote:I can see this being a bit confusing because of the term "drone". Most people think of "drones" as multirotor models. (not including RC helicopters). Do these new rules also apply to fixed-wing models, including sailplanes? Hidden away in all this new information is the "Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that this new drone law is basically the same as the above "order"and, therefore, does apply to all RC models, except for the very lightest of any models weighing under 250 grams (0.551156 lbs or 8.81849 ounces). Because of how Transport Canada and the media are promoting this new law, without any mention of fixed wing models, I can see that many RC pilots flying fix wing might find themselves unexpectedly in trouble, if they're thinking they are excluded.

AC

That's the way I read it. It gives the definition of model aircraft and unmanned air vehicle, but only makes reference to model aircraft in the text of the order. It does not say drone anywhere so it would cover all types of RC aircraft, even though the Minister and media are all talking drone restrictions. We'll have to watch to see how the MAAC rules change to reflect this new order.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.