Ducted Fan Quad Racer..!

FPV racing is one of the hottest things in the R/C world right now (2015). Let's talk about it here!
retiredVTT

Ducted Fan Quad Racer..!

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:22 pm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2744324

I'm attracted to this little quad racer and could see a bunch of these going around a race course. Quite different in that the four motors are powering "fans" which are "ducted"...hence the fans are protected, and so are the walls or trees that you might hit.
Lastly the cost is reasonable for the unit.....of course the FPV gear is extra cost.

what next..?
Bill
Attachments
BLH8580_a8.jpg
BLH8580_a8.jpg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

trevor

Re: Ducted Fan Quad Racer..!

Unread post by trevor » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 pm

You can pick the same type at MSC it called inductrus I believe. They fly awesome
what do you mean low rates and expo???

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:40 pm

I purchased one of these units along with a few E-Flite 200mAhr 45C 1S batteries. The quad is fantastic but the battery life is really really bad. I have also tried new Turnigy 200mAhr 45C batteries with similar results. HH suggests flight times of 4 minutes. I have my timer down to 2:30 mins and some batteries will only last 1 minute. The lights start to flash and the quad will drop very shortly thereafter.

The quad is, however, very stable and has no problem with video signal throughout my house - a neat experience.

So definitely a mixed review from me.

Anyone else tried these???

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 pm

What's the answer Brian, maybe try to parallel two batteries to get more time..?

Reminds me about the major complaint from users of the 12 blade EDF's.......a very high amp draw, (and therefore a shorter run time), just to get a nicer sounding jet..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:57 am

Two batteries would only add to the already (for that size) heavy quad i'm afraid. The original of this little quad was great in fight time and handling, but add what for that tiny machine is a very big heavy blob on top, well you get the picture. Eflite always over states the flying time in everything don't they? Lol

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:06 am

I had called HH back in early December about the short battery life. A new v2 control board was designed to solve the issue of LVC. They promised me that they would send one to me under warranty. Well.... the board was on backorder and just arrived last week. I put in the Inductrix this morning and the performance is much better even with the same batteries. I am getting roughly 3 minutes with an older 200mAhr battery. The lights are not flashing - warning of pending LVC - and the voltage that I am reading is roughly 3.73V through two flights. Previously, the Inductrix would stop flying but open circuit cell voltage was still north of 3.86V.... should have been lots of juice left but recognizing that the internal resistance of the batteries increase with abuse and the number of cycles....

Much more pleased...! Thanks HH!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

The Professor is in the building...!
..and he's talking about putting "Ducts around Props", and it sounds great, until you tilt the machine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cew5JF8q6eY

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708