Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Post here about current projects being worked on.
Entropist

Re: Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Unread post by Entropist » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:33 pm

A maiden video, capturing that oh so dramatic leap over the weeds :D
https://youtu.be/tL3eRB1M5rk

And a not so great video of the landing
https://youtu.be/hklqsCVclfE
John W.
HEFA
MAAC

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks John, ....it's the effort that counts..!
I hope I get another chance this weekend to do a better job with both the takeoff AND the landing...!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Couple of pics from under the cowl and inside the fuselage that I had omitted.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5644.JPG
IMG_5646.JPG
Img_5647.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:02 pm

..I'd like to introduce "George". He will assume all piloting duties henceforth..!

Bill
Attachments
Img_5650xx.jpg
Img_5652xx.jpg
Img_5651xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Got some figures here:

Weight of Fuselage with no battery - 4lb, 2 oz .
Battery weight 1lb, 2 oz.
Wing weight 2lb, 8 oz.

Total weight 7lb,12 oz.

Wing Area - 74"x12" = 6.1 sq ft.

Wing loading = 124 oz / 6.1 sq ft = 20.3 ozs/sq ft.

Power of 800 watts = 103 watts per pound.

The present battery is a 5 cell/4000 lipo; a 6cell would boast power to around 135 watts/lb for a total of about 1050 watts.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Couple of pics from the field today, from Trevor's phone....thanks Trevor!

Got five flights on this Cub so far. Each one I learn something, and each one seems to be better..!

Bill
Attachments
Cub at Shannon6 _June2016.jpg
Cub at Shannon5 _June2016.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Couple of additional mods I've done since the maiden flight.

You may have noticed in earlier photos that the wing appeared "droopy". Designer Adrian had warned me that if I built the wing with no dihedral, it likely would look droopy. However, when I put a string across the leading edge, it was in fact droopy; the cure was a thin 8 inch long coffee stir stick wedge glued to the bottom edge of the longer wing section. Now the string along the leading edge is bang on from tip to tip. Even though I built the wing in two sections, for these first several flights I am keeping the wing joined, since there are so many wires connected right under the window hatch due to the lighting system plus the flaps and ailerons.

On the second flight yesterday, under an extra warm sun, there was a sudden loss of power while considerably downwind from the runway. Scared the bejesus out of me, so I instantly throttled back, and two seconds later applied throttle and power came back, so I landed. It appears that the 60 amp esc went into shut down do to overheating. I'm using a Scorpion "Back Up Power" unit so I would have had the flight controls still, however I might not have got back from being over water..had the esc not come back on.
So the 60 amp came out last night and an 80 amp esc went in. When I then run the motor up, I had an enormous increase in power; something like 1300 watts briefly showing on the meter. I'm using a 13/8 prop, so I'll likely drop that back to a 12/8 or 12/6. It would appear that the first esc was not throttle calibrated properly, although I did do a calibration on it. I would like to limit the amp draw to 55, which would keep the watts to a max of 1100 with a fresh 5S pack.

Today, there was no problem with the 80 amp unit, and it was another warm day, but I only gave it a burst a few times to keep the amps out of the 60 range.

I'm using the flaps more now, and notice no ill results when dropping them. No surprises at all with the flaps going down. I programmed a 1.5 second rate of drop with them, so they do not just suddenly drop.

More fun ahead I hope..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:45 pm

That large wing deserved some protection for storage and transporting, so wing bags were in order. A trip to Home Depot located a roll of foil covered bubble wrap, (16" by 25'), that along with some staples and clear duct tape resulted in two bags that meet in the middle or can be used later with the wing in two sections.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5659.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Customer service goes DOWN as the outside temperature goes UP..!

So recall the information posted here a week or so ago as to the place to go to get a spray can of paint to match my Olive Drab covering. (I'm purposely leaving their name out of this, so it's not searchable)

Well, I went in on Monday afternoon, a blistering 28 degree day, and sauntered up to the two fellows standing beneath a large sign that read "Paint Mixing done here" or words to that effect. I placed my 4" x 6" piece of covering on top of a spray can and asked to have one can made of this color.
Immediately I was told, "we can't work with that material, the scanner would just see through it, it has to be a hard metal or plastic surface". They added nothing else to the conversation, so it was up to me to suggest..."how about if I were to iron this material to a piece of metal or plastic". The reply was, "yes, that would likely work". I was then told that, "we are the only people doing this, if you were to take this to NAPA, they would tell you to take it here". Ok, I didn't ask for that info, but I'll take it.

Then I was told, "you would have to leave it with us for a few days, until we got around to it, as we don't generally deal with small orders, we are here to provide a service to the auto industry". I had mentioned that this paint was for a model aircraft project, and that this place was recommended by a member of a local RC Club. That had no effect of either one of them. The last comment by these fellows was ,"yes the cost would be $25.00...plus Tax, and by the way, the finish will be HIGH GLOSS..!" (the sample material is Olive drab)

So I came away thinking about the litre of Sherwin Williams paint that I had purchased several months ago after they scanned a similar piece of this material and produced a color that was bang on. It was used for touching up small items, but now I'm thinking that with a quality foam brush, maybe I can brush a coat or two of this onto the fiber-glass cowl, and it just might look ok, at least from a distance..!

If I do go back for a spray bomb, I'll pick a cooler day..!
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Why not air brush, Bill
Steve