Future membership

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
retiredVTT

Re: Future membership

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi John,

I think you would be a perfect candidate for powered glider training. HEFA has both the plane and the Instructor, in Andrew Smith. I will talk to Andrew about taking you on as a student for a few sessions of relaxed flying, up high enough that you will soon gather that eye hand coordination that your looking for.

The model is a "Radian" and is very easily controlled with elevator and rudder. We should be able to buddy link two Tx's together and have you certified by May 31st...of THIS year..!

Let me run this by Andrew, and get back to you.

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 pm

OK John, I contacted Andrew S. and he is Ok with getting you stick time on our Radian glider trainer. I sent you his contact info via a PM on the SRCF site so you can set up a time at Shannon to meet.
I really hope this helps you out John, as we all want to see you enjoy this hobby to it's fullest..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:23 pm

John,

The Radian is a great little flyer. Gentle and predictable and only 3 channels without ailerons on the wings. It is also large enough with a 2 me wingspan that the orientation is fairly easy to discern even at higher altitudes - but for now maintaining a "reasonable" altitude well in sight of the surfaces would (in my opinion) be ideal. But Andrew can certainly walk you through the paces!

And we can always try out the Apprentice. SW have one as well and they are ideal for learning. Fairly large and (I would suggest) more responsive and just as easy to fly as the Radian.

Have you tried any of the simulators? Especially popular are Phoenix and RealFlight. I have Phoenix and it is a great way to practice in a relaxed environment.... and with a simple reset button at your fingertips!!

The buddy box system (as you know) works great and eliminates all of the normal anxiety (and repairs!) which would otherwise be in place for learning.

See you at the field!

Brian