Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I wanted to get my winter build started by Nov 15th, so today was the day to get at it.

Managed to tackle the Horizontal Stab, after getting rained out this morning at the field. Of course as I pulled into the driveway, out came the sun..!

Couple of pictures to start this thread.

First is a look at the overall plan, followed by the rough glued up Stab.

Bill
Attachments
Img_5186xx.jpg
Img_5209xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Page Aviation is run by Adrian Page of Berwick, NS. He started producing kits back around 2003, having them laser cut by others. However just recently he purchased his own laser, (big rig, almost six feet in length) and I witnessed a demo run back in June when I picked up this kit. Very impressive to see the entire lite ply fuselage cut in about three minutes.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Keeping the Stab and Elevator pinned together while removing the structure from the build board, allows the contour to be sanded and rounded evenly.

The plan shows a 1/8" diameter joiner wire for the two elevator halves and I made one up but after looking at how much of the 1/4" thick balsa I would be removing to install it, I opted to use a 3/32" diameter wire, and I think it will do the job intended. Once installed with lots of C/A it is still surrounded by sufficient wood. I also opted to use three C/A hinges of the one-inch size per elevator.

Bill
Attachments
Img_5215xx.jpg
Img_5217xx.jpg
Img_5218xx.jpg
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Here is the completed Horizontal Stab and Elevator,

Bill
Attachments
Img_5219xxx.jpg
Img_5220xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Little more progress this evening, (Nov 17th), as the vertical stab and rudder was completed, so now the model has a "rear end"...!

(tip of the day....C/A and wax paper do not go together, well actually they do, and create a mess. The best product I've found when you need a covering between the balsa and the plan is the backing that you remove from iron on covering; so save it for future use....C/A does not stick to it)

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5223.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm

reserved,
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:35 am

Looks like a clean build Bill. I want to try a build loke this ocer the winter
what do you mean low rates and expo???

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Nice job Bill! A couple of questions- have you attached the stab and elevator with the CA hinges at this point and if so, wouldn't it be easier to cover each part separately before the hinges are installed?
An aspiring builder! :?
Tom

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Not hinged yet....well, not completely; I did C/A the hinges into the Elevator, but not into the Stab. The reason was because when you push the two parts together to check the hinge action (to make sure you have sufficient deflection) the hinges tend to move around if you do not secure one end. Some recommend driving a pin through the center of the hinge to allow it to create a "stop" as you assemble the two parts. The other thing is when the part is uncovered you can definitely get the glue into the hinge slot from both sides of the wood. I have had C/A hinges fail after a number of months of flying; that can be scary. With regard to covering, yes takes a bit longer to cover a part if the hinge is already installed, but with a reasonably tight joint, it's not really noticeable.
One other tip...it calls for the Stab side of the hinge joint to be bevelled 45 degrees, each side of the hinge for proper deflection. Well, it's a lot easier to cut the hinge slots FIRST, before doing this sanding. I secure the part upright so I can draw a centerline on it from tip to tip...then after marking where the hinges are going to be, I use a dandy little tool from "Fourmost Products" to make my hinge slots exactly along this centerline. I must take a picture of this tool and add it to this post later. I think you could find it online. So then after making the hinge slots, I bevel the edges, and trial fit the hinges.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/for/for115.htm (gapless hinge slotter tool)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 am

You may want to check the 'play' between the elevator halves. Using a thin wire will result in less deflection on the side without the control horn due to wind resistance. This will call the plane to bank/roll a little when elevator is applied.
A better idea is to use the 1/8 wire and add 1/64 ply to the top and bottom of the elevator area where the wire goes in. This will add strength and spread the load better.

Cheers,
Marc
Plane Crazey :D