Looking for a trainer

This forum is for new pilots and instructors to help coordinate pilot training.
Matthew

Looking for a trainer

Unread post by Matthew » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi all

I am new to the RC flying world and have only flown twice on my own. The first time was with the Champ which was easy and kinda fun so then I decided to take out my 4ch Warbird and didn't have much luck and had to use a lot of foam glue and tape.

I am looking for someone to help train me on my Supercub which I probably should have taken out before my Warbird. I have a DX6i and DX5e with the trainer cable. I have about 10 hours on phoenix rc flight sim and less then 1 hour in the sky.

I am free any day after 4 and all day on the weekends. since I only have 1 car and my wifes schedule is not as simple as mine it may be difficult for me to get to shannon park from the passage but I'm sure I can figure something out.

Thanks in advance and hopefully we have a few warm days left to fly.

retiredVTT

Re: Looking for a trainer

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi Mathew,

I guess you know we are at Shannon Park each weekend, weather depending...and MAAC rules now say we must have a student buddy-boxed to an Instructor for training. The Club has a Supercub set up this way, it's just a matter of giving the Instructor some advanced notice that you will be coming to the field.

One of our Instructors will likely contact you now that you have posted your desire to learn. Meanwhile I'll spread the word that you have requested help.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:56 am

I have my Funcub equipped for training and will be at SP most weekend mornings throughout the winter, including this morning. In spite of the fog I think the conditions today will be as good as it gets this time of year. Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to go to the field and find out!

The days are too short now for anything during the week.
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Matthew

Unread post by Matthew » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Great! I really appreciate the help!

I should be able to make it this weekend (weather pending of course) but I will post on the who's flying thread the day before to make sure someone will be around.

Thanks again

Matt

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

It looks like Saturday morning could be ok and there should be at least one of us there who can provide training.
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Matthew

Unread post by Matthew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:27 am

I wonder if there is anyone down there right now.

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:47 am

With the wind speed being 20 gusting to 35 and with a -6 windchill, Matthew, its not a good day for beginners. Earlier is better most of the time. Flying usually starts around sunrise(7:30ish right now) and over most days by around noon.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

Matthew

Unread post by Matthew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:38 pm

so much for me sleeping in on the weekends from now on lol

well I'm going on vacation for the next 2 weeks but ill try to be there before 8 am on Dec 14th. I was here rushing around all morning trying to get my gear ready to fly and I managed to short a battery while soldering a deans connector on. now that I know I wont be flying today I'll take my time with the other 3 I have to do :P

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Matthew, here's a link to some excellent threads on the RCGroups site regarding soldering connectors to Deans plugs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.p ... ng%20deans

(biggest tip I can offer, is to only have ONE of your wires skinned of it's insulation at a time. Keep the second wire covered with tape, and temporarily secured out of the reach of the wire your working with. These packs have tremendous energy which can burn you, or worse.)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708