Hello

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
goodenough70

Hello

Unread post by goodenough70 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:29 am

Years ago ...40 or a bit more when dad was in the Airforce, I could tell a Mig 21 over a Mirage, knew every-time the Canberra took off and loved the sight of a Super Constellation just hang there in the sky. The Antonov AN12 taking off with Jeeps and small trucks; four props humming you to sleep .. lol Then about 20 years ago for a spell I had a 6 Ft Red Cessna with a 4 Ch Futaba...never got a chance to fly it before I had to sell it. Stuff happened lost a bunch of stuff some setbacks, blah blah.
Now that foamies are an inexpensive way to get back in - here I am.
Hope to learn from you all and of course drool over your stuff ... even your 10 year old stuff would make me salivate.
I bet everyone here speaks moistly...hehe

Pete
(In Halifax)

yorcram

Re: Hello

Unread post by yorcram » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Welcome back to the hobby. There has been a few changes over the years :lol:
Foam ARFs are a good start. Or, Foam and foam board open up a lot of cheap, unique experimental build opportunities. Pick a power system, then build around them. Then move power system to new build.
Crew down at Shannon are helpful so you can't go wrong
Plane Crazey :D

goodenough70

Unread post by goodenough70 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:31 pm

Thank you for the tips !
So focus on power system first before I get a Transmitter ..?
Not even sure what all that comprises of now-a days with electric I am sure there is info in stickies etc. So definitely will glean over.
Just installed a flight sim so was thinking of getting a used radio that I can hookup. Acquired a DX4e but doesn't seem to work too well with the mic in .. i think a USB port might work better or even a TRS to USB cable perhaps ..?

Thanks for the welcome :)

Pete

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Pete,

Marc is right that there are a lot of changes to the hobby. We'd recommend an introductory flight... to this point there hasn't been any training taking place at HEFA due to COVID and the potential risks associated with the sharing of common equipment as well as maintaining social distances. But we are re-evaluating that plan where it might make sense.

In the past, we would offer a few intro flights with no cost or obligations. The intent then would be for the student to consider a membership with MAAC and with our club. You need to remember though, that we are there to fly too so training opportunities are absolutely supported but are not a full time exercise. It would be best to reach out in advance as summer plans can take-over, or perhaps it will be too windy, or perhaps we won't have the trainer packed just due to the limited spaces available in a small car.

I would also absolutely recommend a high-end trainer. Real Flight is the best option out there and can be purchased at Mighty Small Cars on Windmill Road. It's not free... but I guaranty you that the stick time on a good sim will help as will the ability to try different planes and environmental conditions. It will save you lots of repairs for sure. And you can use your own transmitter - a real plus to get familiar with your radio.

A good transmitter will help. You can start basic for sure but could outgrow a small radio quickly. A computerized radio with multiple models and expo / rate adjustments is worthwhile. A 6-channel is a good starting point but, depending on the plane a smaller 4-channel could absolutely work for a while too.

I started with a SuperCub and Dx4e. Lots of hours and stick time with a simple plane really helps. But there are lots of options to consider.

Besides a good sim, I would recommend that you stop by the field to meet with our members. We have lots of experience to help and are absolutely supportive and helpful.

Brian

goodenough70

Unread post by goodenough70 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks for the kind and informative reply.

I do have a DX4e hooked up via TRS stereo cable to Mic input. Using Aerofly sim but radio seems to be glitching. (maybe cause I am using a stereo cable vs mono) Sporadic dead channels, all the channels get mixed up etc. Then something else happens ..tried unplugging, replugging, partially plugging in to mimic a mono connector...all no avail. Works fine when it decides to though.
Wouldn't mind a 6ch radio & have been perusing the classifieds for a suitable deal here & kijiji...
Thing is I don't want to end up with 3/4 radios .. well at least in the beginning .. :) Seeking a good deal on a 6ch for now...certainly open to donations of unused or old gear as well...adds an interesting level of know how & depth to the hobby in terms of cross compatibility.

Hope to 'stick' around pending acquisition of radio.

Cheers,

Pete

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:21 pm

That Dx4e should be fine with Real Flight and a proper wireless/USB dongle. I have used mine extensively with Phoenix and it works perfectly. I am not sure about the mic connection though... that adds a level of complexity for sure. In addition, the radio can be used with a basic plane (without landing gear retracts, flaps, or stabilization ON/OFF). It can only be bound to one model and the trim adjustments can be easily adjusted by mistake - but I would not give up on it as a starting system. Just my 2 cents. Of course multi-model computerized radios will absolutely take you further but that can always come later. No need that the transmitter should be the limiting consideration!

Come to the field and certainly our members would be willing to share experiences and recommendations.

Brian