Hello!

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
asif

Hello!

Unread post by asif » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:25 am

Nice meeting you, Murray, Tom, Andrew, Rick! This morn( Saturday 5th) at the windy and cold field!

I wanted to join the club for sure -- how does one go about this? I am a recent MAAC member as well.

My name is Asif Illyas and have been interested in airplanes ever since I was 4 - when we'd pick my Dad up from work everyday in London and wait for him 250ft from main runway 09L of Heathrow Airport - where 747's would take off every minute or so...I was hooked --- my Dad got us a small control line Cess172 -- and on and off since then I've dabbled and crashed many an RC plane -- I love building so I'd spend hours building a balsa glider and then crash it....etc.etc.

So I was SOOO lucky to come out to Shannon Park this morning - I've been living in Halifax since 1983 and never even knew that field was there!! I have a Hobbyzone SuperCub and it had it's maiden flight at Gorsebrook field last night -- I went this morning to Gorsebrook but the wind kept me in the car -- so I decided to drive out to Shannon Park to see what it was like - and was glad to meet you and find out about the club.

I hope to get back there this morning.... but thought I'd do a little surfing and find out about HEFA, find out how to join -- and learn how to not crash my planes!!!! I had a fun summer last year "flying" two Flyzone Skyfly 1's and this summer, fighting with the electronics of a Flyzone Cub -- going through two of them....I swore that when I got serious that I'd only use fuel driven planes - but after getting my new Hobbyzone Cub for my bday, and looking at things more seriously, I've decided to stay electric and not let Flyzone's dodgy electronics influence me to go to gas planes.....

.I guess I have some fledgling skills on the sticks but I would definitely consider myself a beginner. The Supercub is really fun for me -- seems to be right at my skill level for simple circuits, etc.. Aside from that, I have a lot of aviation knowledge/enthusiasm .... and did my paragliding certificate a few summers ago - so my experience with micro-climates and wind, etc., is good. -- but need to learn a heck of a lot more about RC planes -- I'd eventually love to get into proper scale planes.....one day... it's nice to dream!!

Looking forward to meeting more of you and sharing this great hobby,
Thanks very much,
Cheers,

Asif Illyas
Asif Illyas
"A" Level HEFA Pilot

It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.

— Aesop, Fables, The Jay and the Peacock.'

JohnOSullivan

Re: Hello!

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:17 am

Hi Asif:
Welcome to HEFA.
We are a group of fliers with diverse modelling backgrounds, but with a dedication to the promotion of BS-free(Daddy cow's KaKa), electric fun flying. The most basic of model flier is treated with the same importance as the old hands.

We were happily flying on an informal basis until earlier this year, when our numbers exploded and together with the tightening of MAAC insurance coverage , we made the wise decision to formalize the club. This, for some, took a bit of a transition, but has proven to be a very important factor in consolidation of the association.

I am sure that your discovery of these guys will be as important an event as your first introduction to model flying.

From Rainy Ireland,
John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Hello Asif,
Nice to meet you this morning and I'm glad we were able to give you an Application Form along with our sheet of guidelines.
You will be our 30th member, and we welcome you aboard. As you have seen already, the guys are eager to assist you with both your plane and your flying.
You have an excellent model in the HobbyZone Cub, there are now four of them among the members.

..see you Sunday!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:26 pm

Great to meet you Asif! You will be in great company with the SuperCub.

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Hmmmm... :idea: four Super Cubs .... enough for a Super Cub attach squadron maybe :idea: Super Fly(s) verses Super Cub(s) wars... I like the sound of that!!!! :lol:

Hope to see you again soon Asif!

Murray
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

asif

Unread post by asif » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 am

Hello,

Thanks for the welcome messages, guys! Hope to drop by quickly today. Have great flights!!
Take care,

Asif

asif

Unread post by asif » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:36 pm

See you tomorrow! Couldn't make it out this morn after all .... very windy, huh?

Have a great day!!

asif
Asif Illyas
"A" Level HEFA Pilot

It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.

— Aesop, Fables, The Jay and the Peacock.'

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Asif, Welcome aboard,

We may have to start a Super Cub committee if we get too many more :) .

Andrew S
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250