Trade a plane

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
Buck

Re: Trade a plane

Unread post by Buck » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:44 pm

retiredVTT wrote:That's a great arf Buck; I had bought two of them some years back (from ebay) and sold one locally two years ago and sold the other to a US flyer last September who was desperate to get one after crashing his original. He paid me an additional $143.00 Canadian for shipping to Boston...that was shocking. (its a B-I-G box..)

Someone should be willing to trade you for a nice fully equipped Apprentice and maybe add some dollars towards 3S lipos for it. Actually I just did a search on the 51" Parkzone Cub that you mentioned and I see it comes with AS3X and in some ways it might be the better plane for you, since it does not have the front nose wheel that sometimes can present problems on a grass field.

If you do put together an ad for our Classified section, I could help you get the ad posted over to the Shearwater Club and also the Avon Club in Windsor. It would get additional attention from members of these Clubs which do not have the 6 pound weight limit factor that we have at Shannon.

Meanwhile I'll add a picture here of the Hangar 9 RV8 so everyone knows what model it is.
Bill/Brian
Thanks for the pics and the info as thats the aircraft . Just want to clear something up. I initially was told the Parkzone Cub S 2 (the model I'm looking for) came with receiver and transmitter and I found out yesterday it only comes with the receiver for a radio that is not same brand name as my Futaba. Having said that I will be removing the servos from the aircraft and use them with my own transmitter on my future aircraft. So guys what do you think I should be asking for this baby ??
Thanks
Buck

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Buck,

The Sport Cub is available in two options:
(1) PNP - meaning that all of the servos and connecting rods, motor, and ESC are all fitted and equipped. https://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cub-pnp-pkz6875
(2) BNF - Everything from the PNF but also with a AS3X receiver. https://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cub- ... gy-pkz6880

Given that you want to use a Futuba transmitter - and others can certainly chime in here - I would suggest that the PNP is the best version for you - assuming, of course, that you have a Futuba receiver which matches the Futuba transmitter. In that case, you should be able to leave the servos with the R8. The Sport Cub already has those so no need to remove them from the R8.

One last point of possible cost savings - if you do purchase new (and I do recognize that you are trying to trade) - the Spektrum receiver retails for close to $100 so you should be able to sell it separately and everyone would win. The cost differential is less than $30 with the receiver.

As Bill had stated earlier, the Apprentice S15e is also a good plane to consider. It does not have the flaps but is larger and is very gentle and predictable and the tricycle landing gear fares well on the grass.

Parts are no longer available for the R8 and that might reduce your market / buyers. It's always a matter of finding the right person! Certainly the more that you remove, the lower the selling cost.

I hope that I am not complicating your decision!

Brian

Buck

Unread post by Buck » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 am

bdg wrote:Buck,

(1) PNP - meaning that all of the servos and connecting rods, motor, and ESC are all fitted and equipped. https://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cub-pnp-pkz6875
(2) BNF - Everything from the PNF but also with a AS3X receiver. https://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cub- ... gy-pkz6880

Given that you want to use a Futuba transmitter - and others can certainly chime in here - I would suggest that the PNP is the best version for you - assuming, of course, that you have a Futuba receiver which matches the Futuba transmitter. In that case, you should be able to leave the servos with the R8. The Sport Cub already has those so no need to remove them from the R8.

One last point of possible cost savings - if you do purchase new (and I do recognize that you are trying to trade) - the Spektrum receiver retails for close to $100 so you should be able to sell it separately and everyone would win. The cost differential is less than $30 with the receiver.

As Bill had stated earlier, the Apprentice S15e is also a good plane to consider. It does not have the flaps but is larger and is very gentle and predictable and the tricycle landing gear fares well on the grass.

Parts are no longer available for the R8 and that might reduce your market / buyers. It's always a matter of finding the right person! Certainly the more that you remove, the lower the selling cost.

Brian
Brian
Thanks for the info and I guess I didn't ask enough questions when looking at this a/c. So the PNP is what I'm looking for and yes this is getting a bit confusing with all the options out there these days.(technology and availability)
Buck

Buck

Unread post by Buck » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Buck wrote:
bdg wrote:Buck,

Brian
Brian
Thanks for the info and I guess I didn't ask enough questions when looking at this a/c. So the PNP is what I'm looking for and yes this is getting a bit confusing with all the options out there these days.(technology and availability)
Buck
One more thing. Do you think the servos already installed will adapt to the Futaba receiver ?
Thanks again for you time
Buck

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Buck - yes - that would be the case for a "modern" system. The servos are nominal 4.5-6VDC, as typically fed from the ESC, and accept a signal for the position setpoint on the 3-wire connection (0V, +5V and Signal). This signal can be derived from many different receivers - Futuba, Spektrum, Orange RX, etc. So - a modern "traditional" Futuba should work fine for the Sport Cub PNP.

Brian

Buck

Unread post by Buck » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 am

bdg wrote:Buck - yes - that would be the case for a "modern" system. The servos are nominal 4.5-6VDC, as typically fed from the ESC, and accept a signal for the position setpoint on the 3-wire connection (0V, +5V and Signal). This signal can be derived from many different receivers - Futuba, Spektrum, Orange RX, etc. So - a modern "traditional" Futuba should work fine for the Sport Cub PNP.

Brian
OK Brian,Thanks again for your help and if anybody you know would like to come have a boo at this bird before the wx clears up, I live in Sackville.
Buck