Potential New Member

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
cacherjoe

Potential New Member

Unread post by cacherjoe » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Hello,

I'm Joe. I have some experience in R/C Helicopters in the past and have recently moved into the world of quadcopters and am enjoying that. I also volunteer with a local Air Cadet Squadron.

I am interested in learning more about the R/C world and getting some airtime.

Joe

bdg

Re: Potential New Member

Unread post by bdg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Hey Joe!

Welcome to our forum. As you've hopefully learned, we are a group of 50+ RC enthusiasts (great bunch - supportive and knowledgeable in the hobby!) who enjoy flying planes, helicopters and multi-copters under the MAAC rules and safety umbrella. We are most busy in the spring/summer.fall and winter tends to be more "hit and miss". Many members have enjoyed winter flying - especially when winds are lower (say less than 15km/h) and temperatures are "decent" (say above -5C). Landing a waterplane on a fresh snow is a lot of fun!

Perhaps the biggest challenge that we are facing today is our lease of the Shannon Park field. This is our primary field and we've benefited from leasing the property from Canada Lands. This has been a great relationship and we have operated in a cordial manner and without safety incidents related to the public. There are many developments planned for the site and our time at Shannon Park is dwindling. We are hopeful for an extension of the lease - even for a few months at a time - but for now the lease expires on December 31.

All of our members are looking for a suitable field and we have support from some organizations trying to help in this regard.

We have offered flying instructions to new members and this is really the best way to learn the hobby. Last year, we had 5 active "students" who progressed nicely through the routines.

I would encourage you to review the MAAC website as this is the governing body for any flying field.

What helis have you flown? What quads are you flying?

All the best,

Brian

cacherjoe

Unread post by cacherjoe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for the reply Brian.

In the past I've flown the smaller "toy" copters and really enjoyed that. I now have a DJI Mavic Pro. Unlike some of the new quad owners, I am very much into safety and following the rules. Unfortunately, I can see more rules and restrictions coming to the world of quads because so many will not research, learn and fly within the rules.

I bought it primarily to fly, film and take pictures when out hiking. I'm not the best photographer but enjoy that hobby also.

I would be very interested in coming down some time when people are flying and getting to know the folks in the club. How would I know if there is going to be someone at the field. Right now my interest is in quads but I hear it doesn't take long to get hooked on the other aircraft out there also.

I really hope to catch up with you guys sometime.

Joe

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 am

Hey Joe!

That Mavic Pro is definitely not a "toy" - it's an awesome platform for sure! Members have several multicopters in the club - in varying configurations from 3-6 props (and we've seen even more!). These systems have developed at an incredible pace over the past 5 years. I have a P3A and I am very pleased with the results. The Mavic is more compact and offers more features than my P3A....

The general rules for flying "FPV" at the field would be to have a spotter - someone watching the craft in the air and noting potential obstacles and providing feedback - and to fly within line of sight. That last point means that a small UAV will probably only get out 200-300m... much much less than the proven range of these designs.

While a DJI quad is extremely easy to fly and to navigate, you are right that the world of RC planes is more challenging and equally rewarding. We would certainly support an introduction to the hobby of RC planes. We have a high-wing trainer plane which is well suited to this purpose and which we use a buddy-box to allow the instructor to take immediate control when necessary. It is a great system for learning. The world of RC opens many doors from planes in various configurations (trainer, acrobatic, gliders, etc.) to helicopters (definitely more challenging to pilot) and we support members through their development under the rules of the MAAC safety umbrella.

If you "get the itch" for planes, then I would also suggest that a good simulator is money well spent. These are configurable for various crafts (including quads) and help to develop almost real-world conditions and promote muscle memory to actual conditions. Phoenix and RealFlight are two of the more popular options.

I would also encourage you to review the MAAC website (http://www.maac.ca) as there is a lot of great information on the site. Participation in MAAC also provides insurance which is also very important in this hobby and a requirement for actively participating in any of the local clubs.

We are optimistic that our lease will be extended at Shannon Park, but this has not been settled just yet.

Thanks again for your interest in HEFA. I am convinced that you won't find a better club anywhere with our supportive members. Hopefully we'll see you soon!

All the best,

Brian