One handed Controller (joy stick)

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
selvidme

One handed Controller (joy stick)

Unread post by selvidme » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 pm

ok, I was in a car accident 15 yr ago, short of the story is, i have the use of 1 hand, and partial use of the other. i have a pic of how i hold the controller on my phone, (but the problem is i don't have very good control over the plane or quad and i can't flick any switch without taking my hand off the sticks.

I hold the controller against my body with my right hand (either sideways or else diagonal) and then use my pointer or middle finger for the throttle and yaw, and my thumb for the other stick.

I am looking for a universal joystick or something.

HELP ANYONE

bdg

Re: One handed Controller (joy stick)

Unread post by bdg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:38 am

Sorry to hear about your accident. There are certainly some challenges ahead for control of an aircraft. Complete control of the aircraft is the foundation for our club. Safety first, as you might expect.

That said, 99% of the control is required around the two sticks. You definitely need complete control over those systems at all times. Switches are not normally required to be adjusted in flight once set-up / configured (again, depends upon the aircraft and style of flying).

I regret that I am not aware of any universal joystick for the hobby.

I'd recommend that you stop by the field and we can discuss further. Buddy boxing will definitely mitigate the risks!

Brian

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 am

just another option, and just as much fun as powered flight, is the world of gliding. my favorite type of flight happens to be slope soaring, and only 2-channel one stick is required, (ail/elev or rud/elev). we have a world-class slope at Lawrencetown, and sloping can be as relaxing, or as exciting, as powered flight, whichever you desire.

this is our bunch 2 years ago, what a great time -
Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014
https://youtu.be/-H9zBlgQf9c
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

steve

Unread post by steve » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:25 am

What about this type of gimbal?

I think that there are also other options as upgrades and purpose built single stick joystick that may also work. Could even look at "mode 2" type transmiiters or programmable ones to switch gimbal control

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _39_s.html
Steve

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Both great ideas! Steve - that radio and 3-Axis gimbal is particularly interesting! Less than $40 for the upgrade kit.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Wow....excellent product, nice to see a return to something that was common back in the day..(70's and 80's) !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAry-FimKac

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708